1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait - beware

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alannotrealname, Aug 8, 2020.

1. alannotrealname

alannotrealname New commenter

A warning –

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    school in Kuwait

This is the worst school I have ever had the misfortune to work in. The principle is the most hateful human being I have ever encountered. The way staff are treated is disgusting. You may feel you can put up with anything if the salary is good enough but believe me the cost of food in Kuwait will make your eyes water and there is literally nothing to do!. At every opportunity the school try to extract money from you. To say staff are demoralised would be an understatement with many refusing to return this year due to their treatment by the school during covid.

I have never posted anything like this before but I’m hoping that reading this negative review some people will choose not to go to the school and be saved the year from hell that I have just lived through. Any specific questions please PM me.

2. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Wish I’d read this before the school name was removed.........:)

Look - the school’s have treated people pretty badly. Even the best school in Kuwait has laid people off without notice. And that school has a pretty good reputation.

But let’s be honest and realistic - the situation has not been created by the schools. It was created by the ministry making from February to August a holiday and not mandating e-learning meaning that schools got zero fees in.

Even now, the ministry is changing the rules every five minutes. And the rules to get back into the country are so complex that it’s a nightmare. They are literally changing the rules whilst planes are in the air and the planes are having to turn back.

It breaks my heart to say so - but I really wouldn’t be heading to Kuwait right now. I’m trying to get back, due to my loyalty to my job and the money we are owed but much as there are some good things about the country, the situation is so mismanaged that it is a nightmare.

But the schools are in a dire financial situation and the teachers are paying the penalty. But I wouldn’t be a school owner either right now.

T0nyGT and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  3. alannotrealname

Hi I cant name the school but on a separate note my my favorite singer is Prince, and my favorite song by him is purple rain anyway sorry for getting off topic.

Jonntyboy, frodo_magic and Bentley51 like this.
  4. nicksmithbsk

nicksmithbsk New commenter

Im pretty sure i work at the same school as the poster, I've worked there for a number of years and this is the worst ive ever seen things. Teachers have lost July pay, their deposit on their apartments, return airfare that was due, and even money that teachers where owed for after hours tuition has been illegally retained by the school. I am also concerned as there is a rumour that many staff intend not coming back to the school after Xmas which would cause the school to be forced to close. There is no doubt that the Kuwait government have made a mess of the whole situation but the way staff have been treated by the school has been vindictive and exasperated an already bad situation

Bentley89 likes this.
  5. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

The whole country has proven to be awful during this pandemic: working class starved in ghettos and many expats just cut and mistreated because their shoddy labour law and human rights only gets applied to Kuwaitis.

The smaller, poorer schools have been forced to close or have not paid staff for July & August. The bigger schools with bullies & sociopaths for leaders are finding anyway possible to dock summer pay (which, I must add, is illegal) and feel they can get away with it. These schools are cutting responsibility payments, threatening fines, changing working hours and bottom line, trying to bully people in to a corner.

Little do these idiots know, the costs they are cutting and saving now will be minuscule in comparison to their recruitment costs when everyone chooses to leave this hellhole in June 2021...

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Plenty of applicants will happily work in Kuwait no matter how badly the current staff are treated.

Good opportunity for school owners to cut pay, conditions and offer more shared accommodation.

Just remember how prestigious the school is and it will look good on your CV, don't forget the salary is tax free.

7. Bentley51

Kuwait has very little else to offer other than money, so when that is no longer on offer and offers almost anywhere are in line with Kuwait's, I'm certain people will opt for those other destinations instead.

However, you are right. There are those with no experience, those nearing retirement and those with streaky records who will always find work in Kuwait.

8. norwichred

I’ve been the biggest defender of the place, but even I can’t find much positive in the way this has been handled.

I’m sleeping on floors in the UK at the moment because even though my residency has been renewed, my Civil ID is caught in a four month backlog and even though my residency shows on the MoI app I can’t board a plane without a physical copy of the civil ID.

9. flowerpowerfriday

flowerpowerfriday New commenter

10. flowerpowerfriday

flowerpowerfriday New commenter

11. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

Is tutoring a big thing in Kuwait? How much can you earn in addition to your salary?

12. alannotrealname

You can make a couple of 100 a month on top of your salary by taking on tuition through the school, that of course assumes you school is not run by pirates who steal your money at every opportunity. I didn't do tuition this year but Im told the school as well as not paying July pay to all staff have withheld tuition money. Even if you do earn any money through tuition, at the school where everyone eats bskuits , they will invent things to fine you over eg not wearing a mask, parking in un designated areas and not displaying your id badge correctly. You might wounder what they use these fines for , I suspect its been used for installing the cameras in the lift and outside of the building i lived in making you feel like you where in prison! During Covid the area i was in was put on total lockdown and we only had three food visits from school. We where left out to dry by the school and specifically the principle who i cant name but will refer to as "the pastry chef". The pastry chef cares about two things - money and making people miserable. Ive found a new school with a head teacher who actually has a soul but im still dealing with the consequences of having worked at that hell hole, so apologies for going off on a tangent , if you have any specific questions about tutoring in kuwait Pm me youll get a response without the waffle! ;)

13. Bentley51

The going rate for tutoring is 20KD an hour. That roughly converts to £50.

Yes, that school is a vile big brother state ran by a lunatic.

flowerpowerfriday likes this.
  14. norwichred

It used to be regarded as one of the better schools. Has it got worse since the partial takeover?

15. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

I still laugh about a headline news item when I worked in Q8. It said something along the lines of "Wasta (corruption, bribe taking to get something done or queue jump) had been eliminated in Kuwait after a government campaign".

The place then was the most corrupt place on earth. Totally useless students expected to become little managers at 18 in a government department, with their very own collection of Bangladeshis to manage. Utterly hopeless at organising an orgy in a brothel, these generally overweight sad excuses for humans then made a mess of everything they went near, without consequences, until retirement.

You mean Kuwait has changed?

Bentley51 likes this.
  16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Warnings on working in Kuwait have been published for years on multiple websites. Ignore warnings at your own risk!

17. Anybody thinking of joining should consider the following.
    • The school has cited liquidity issues and withheld money.
    • Invasive surveillance cameras are monitored 24 hours a day, both in and out of school, whereby any minor misdemeanour will lead to a dock of pay without warning.
    • Staff morale and wellbeing doesn't exist.
    • No idea why middle and senior management are appointed as all decisions are made by the Principal.
    • The business (rather than school) is run based upon fear and threats.
    • Be prepared to compromise any intergrity you have. Grades are invented.

18. Bentley51

No. It has always been this bad. It just hides behind a shiny image.

19. norwichred

Interesting. I knew someone who had worked there for years. Well paid, lovely apartment.

he said classes were overloaded but he was otherwise happy.

I suspect his circumstances (can’t mention them it would identify him) meant he would be the last to be treated badly though.

redundancies are starting to bite throughout Kuwait last few days I hear.

20. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

I think anyone arriving for the first time could be in for a shock. The contract they are asked to sign there won't resemble what was discussed in the UK. Shared bedrooms in shared apartments, late salary payments, huge classes of possibly the worst students on the planet (after Saudi), bonus, extra flights and goodwill non existent and of course, passports held by the school. I can't imagine any self respecting teacher will want to go there - prepare for working with strange, desperate colleagues in Q8, with alcohol, drug or other "issues". You will be better off than Nepalese and Bangladesh workers, but not by much.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020