1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait - again!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BondStreetBabe, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Having read some poor reports about the English school in Hawally, the famous University but not Oxford, I would be very pleased and interested to hear up to date info - staff, children, accommodation, management etc etc. Thanks!

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

These bad schools have been bad for years and years, they are never going to improve.

yasf and estrella7 like this.
  3. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

**** I work there. But only for the next 2 months.

4. BondStreetBabe

So what can you tell me, yorkie63?

5. bead

bead New commenter

AVOID,AVOID AVOID. If it is Hawally, there are some real monster schools there. One good one which is the cup of TEA. The national one and the university one are awful. Staff walk out or are fired continually during the school year. There are about 5 good ones with decent money and conditions. Apply to one of them. As for the rest AVOID.

6. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

just to let you know about CES. Lots of assaults on teachers. Physical and verbal. BEWARE.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Have you looked at the website? Half the links do nothing.

The behaviour policy is written in 7 different sizes of Comic Sans, I kid you not. And it's not a behaviour policy for the public, it's random staff training documents ("give them the look") and wall posters.

I've never seen such a clear indication of the quality of a school

8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

I worked at the school for two years. I do not know about now but the behaviour was appallng and you could not send a child outside of the classroom. No child could be expelled. One pupil, who disrupted every class left voluntarily, he was expelled from his new school very quickly and was allowed back into our school.
    This school also had many problems with work visas. Some teachers did not get theirs until mid October and were not paid for the time while waiting. Others arrived on a tourist visa and then had to leave the country for weeks on end, stuck in a hotel waiting and not paid for the time they were waiting.
    I would look for another job if I were you. I have taught in some God awful schools and some amazing schools. This one fell below god awful by a country mile.

9. BondStreetBabe

Thank you all for your time - and warnings! The fact that there are so many vacancies in The Guardian now makes even more sense.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  10. BondStreetBabe

Thanks bead. How about the four lettered International one?

bead 0

11. bead

bead New commenter

Avoid it. Green, new, purple palace and one that sounds like this website are ok, Another one in the south, and the cup of TEA. Avoid the other British ones.

12. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

You must be desperate.

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Kuwaiti schools? Never ever again. Boring city, corrupt education, dreadful students, entitled students and parents, lacking morals and empathy and schools where contracts, payments, accommodation promises mean nothing.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

15. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

It's not a nice place.

Wasta

16. tica

tica New commenter

What a dreadful generalization. I taught in Kuwait for 10 years and found the classroom teaching the most enjoyable of my career. We had great kids, few behavior issues, supportive parents and minimal interference from SMT.
    Agreed Kuwait is not the most glamorous destination but a good salary and

17. tica

tica New commenter

frequent holidays mean you can travel freely. Social life among the staff was also good.
    So although I would agree that there are a lot of poor schools in Kuwait, if you choose carefully you can have a positive experience.

18. bead

bead New commenter

tica, you are absolutely correct. The 5 or 6 good schools are ok, and you can have a good life here. I have had a great time for 20 years, but as private schools go???? they are overcrowded fee paying comprehensives with little or no facilities, and that's the good ones. The others are awful. If you compare facilities in kuwait to other international schools in most of the rest of the world, they are lacking in nearly everything.

19. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

If you really want to know the inside. Pm me. School

20. BondStreetBabe

Thanks yorkie63 but I’ve dismissed it out of hand. Always interesting to read the reviews though!