1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KUW - jobs farmers do

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by stacieleigh, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I am doing a lesson next week based one the book Farmer Duck and I have linked it to knowledge and understanding of the world. I wanted to make it fun and hands on. Only a 20 minute session, so not long. I've racked my brain for ideas and thought of getting the children to act out some jobs the farmer does, e.g. milking the cow, collecting the eggs. Anybody have any other ideas?

2. feeding animals
    shearing sheep
    baking cakes
    mucking out byres
    hay bale making
    growing crops - potatoes carrots
    raking and ploughing
    whistling the dogs in

3. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi
    Our favourite rhyme for actions would work really well.
    This is the way we milk the cows,
    milk the cows, milk the cows
    This is the way we milk the cows on a cold and frosty morning.
    It would lend itself really well to : feed the pigs, fetch the eggs, round up the sheep, feed the hens, (scatter the corn), turn on the tractor, put on our boots, plough the field, bale the hay etc etc.
    We also change the ending depending upon the weather - on a hot and sunny morning / wet and windy morning, very dark evening etc
    Enjoy!

4. I take it the OP is not from a rural background! Perhaps the class and its teacher need to find out what farmers do......