1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KUW 6 ...help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by wardjulieann, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I've been busy e-profiling and I seem to have a gap. Not sure how it's happened as I do regular (well half-termly) checks on progress, to identify areas and next steps for my class as a whole. However, the inescapable truth is that lots, probably more than half, don't have much to support KUW6. I realise this is my fault but I'm appealing for help. Can you, kind colleagues, offer some quick fix solutions?
    Maybe I'm not doing the right things?
    We already tried asking for family pictures - linked to weddings (we got 1/30)
    Could you please give me some ideas - of activities/circle time starters etc which you have found useful in offering an opportunity for my pupils to show what they know in this area?
    Thanks.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

The advice I was given is that "culture and beliefs" is a very wide thing - not just to be neceearily associated with religiion or ethinic culture. So for example, understanding that some people live in flats, boats, trailers or houses may be part of it. Or knowing that some people live with just Daddy or just Mummy etc. Some people like Judo, some people like football ... In my class, the majority of children have no religious culture whatsoever, and therefore have no starting points to make llinks about religion ...

3. I bet you did lots of this at the beginning of the term if you did an all about me intro topic. If you follow the SEAL program you will have covered a lot of it in discussions. My children tell news everyday and the rest ask them questions and lots of differences between the children's lives outside school have come up. Have you learnt about and celebrated festivals through the year such as Divali, Harvest Festival, Hanukah, Eid, Christmas, Chinese New Year, Easter? Lots of opportunities here.

4. I was recently told at a moderation meeting that this area can be as simple as
    "At Grandma's house we have to take our shoes off but at home we don't"
    Hope that helps a little. I had been looking at it on a much bigger scale!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

As other people have said, we were told at our moderation meetings, to interpret culture widely, not necessary religion or 'different cultures' per se. Having said that, I put some Bollywood music on and watched my (all white) children do the appropriate dancing, I asked how they knew what to do and got all sorts of interesting answers - films, videos, indian restaurants etc. They also knew what to do with the lengths of fabrics I put nearby for saris.

6. Thanks for this, reading yours and other posted replies I suspect you're right I may be making life hard for myself. I think I was probably looking for more broad and sweeping religious and cultural stuff. The examples you've cited makes it seem much more attainable! Love the idea of Bollywood dancing, may well give it a whirl (excuse the pun) tomorrow!

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

At one moderation meeting ideas such as supporting different football teams, talking about interests such as Ben Ten, people preferring certain foods were all acceptable ... I agree we tend to think too deeply into this point!