1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kumon - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Shabas, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Just contemplating a move out of teaching and wondered whether I could use my skills by taking over a franchise. If anyone is already doing this and has any advice i.e. do it / don't bother! could you put your experiences on here. Thanks. It's a scary thought to jump into having my own business, but possibly looks like a good option.

2. Just contemplating a move out of teaching and wondered whether I could use my skills by taking over a franchise. If anyone is already doing this and has any advice i.e. do it / don't bother! could you put your experiences on here. Thanks. It's a scary thought to jump into having my own business, but possibly looks like a good option.

3. You only live once, even mistakes are an experience. Go for it! [​IMG]

4. HI

I did it, and never looked back! If you really enjoy the teaching aspect of 'teaching' be a bit wary of Kumon, though. I run a tuition centre (another leading national franchise) and we have children moving over to us from Kumon for many different reasons, not least of all that parents prefer that all our teachers hold QTS. Also we have many pupils preparing for 11+, which isn't something specifically catered for by them.

But in general I would say go for it, as it happens I am selling my franchise (change of family circumstance) so feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

5. delma

delma New commenter

I know which franchise you're talking about, Chigley :) I work for a centre, and I agree that we have had kids move across from Kumon.