1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kumala Vista. any info on this song?

Discussion in 'Music' started by wackawee, Apr 23, 2008.

1. I always thought that Kumala vista was African too, although it doesn't really sound it, does it?! Anyway, I came across this, which suggests that it isactually a nonsense song!

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=497299

You have to scroll down about halfway to find the relevant bit. I also think there is a chance it originated in the Carribean, but I can't remember where I read that.

Is this the song you mean? If not apologies! DO you need to know its history? Can't you just sing it anyway?

2. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

wackawee, that is an amazing find- all those different versions of Kumala Vista, and none of them 'mine' ! It does seem to be a nonsense/campfire song rather than African.
    I do KV all the time- it's a bit of an anthem for my choir. About ten years ago (!) one lot made up some actions for it, which we still do. Everyone wants to lead this song. Love it.

3. boodley

boodley New commenter

Hi guys! and thank's for your input.

wackawee - yes! this is the song I mean!

I will be teaching the version of it from (Junior Songbooks series Book 2) at my interview next week for a PGCE Music course. I guess I just wanted to be prepared for the obvious sort of questions really!

Perhaps there is no history on it and indeed it is a nonsense song!? but as TreesK says: "Love it"!

how does your version go TreesK?

4. Good luck with your interview!

5. boodley

boodley New commenter

Thank's wackawee! you're the best!!!

6. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

I got mine from Sing for Pleasure
    Call/response, so each line repeated of course:
    (Shout) Fee
    Fie
    Fee fie foe
    Kumala
    Kumala vista
    (Sing- let's hope we know same tune:)
    Kumala, kumala, kumala vista
    No, no, no-no la vista
    Eenie meenie desimeenie ooh-ah la eenie-meenie
    Scoot'n doot'n dat'n doot'n rah rah rah

Do you want the actions? more fun maybe make up their own.
    Hope the interview goes/went well!