1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuala Lumpur wage. Have I been duped?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by eaboukhatwa, Dec 13, 2018.

1. eaboukhatwa

eaboukhatwa New commenter

hey everyone

I am nqt plus 1 and have been offered a role next year in KL for 12000 ringgit per month

Is this reasonable? My partner will come and won’t be able to work.

I did try and negotiate but it was a no go

Thank you so much for your feedback

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Not duped. That’s pretty solid for limited experience.
    In many schools there you’d be on 6 or 7,000.

3. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

Is that including housing? What benefits?

4. 576

576 Established commenter

Why do you think you've been duped?

5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Depends if it's 12k plus housing or including housing, either way you'll be fine. Local teachers in my school earn around 4-5000 a month, no.housing allowance.

You may not lead a splashy expat lifestyle but you're not going to be in the gutter either.

If housing is not provided, remember you can negotiate on the rent.

6. eaboukhatwa

eaboukhatwa New commenter

Hello everyone

I am just double checking that I am not running into something poorly informed

I know the wage varies across schools but did a little search yesterday and read lots of comments that a decent wage would’ve closer to 16000 plus accommodation. My 12000 includes accommodation allowance.

I just want to be sure that we will have a good standard of living :)
    Electing to work aboard is in part so that we can see Asia - etc .. and just wanted to feel it out that would be possible on the wage

I am looking forward to going :) the staff seem great .. as I said just double checking I haven’t walked into a ‘raw deal’

Seems like the answer is generally that it is a fair wage - but one could always earn more. And that is fine with me

Thank you all

7. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I'm with 576. What were you expecting? Single or not the school doesn't factor in de-factos when offering salaries.

8. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I was offered 18,000 a month a couple of years back. But I have heard 12-15 is quite reasonable.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  9. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

16000RM + accommodation for an NQT +1 year?! Wow.. I keep coming across claims for such high wages for such "experience" and those people who claim so still haven't pm'ed me.

10. Allworknosleep

Allworknosleep New commenter

Those wages don’t exist.

Also it is pretty hard for someone with 2 years teaching experience to get a visa in Malaysia these days unless they already have some prior experience working with children...

11. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Thank you for speaking the truth!
    I know they don't exist particularly for somebody with less than 3 years including their NQT year. To expect £3000 a month with limited experience is very circa 2017-8. I know teachers who worked and still works for the petrol/gas schools and to get £3000-£4000 a month + accommodation requires, at best, minimum 10+ years.

12. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

I think duped is the wrong word to use. You were offered a contract and you accepted. I don't see how you've been duped

The aforementioned wages do exist but definitely not for an NQT+1. I do wonder which school you are going to that is willing to accept you with such limited experience.

12000RM all-in is pretty low. Factor in a non-working partner, the tax rate which if I remember is 28% the first year and getting somewhere to rent in an area you'll want to live. You'll get by, but you're not going to live the life of Riley by any means.

Having said that, sitting next to your condo pool in KL is far more enjoyable than being stuck in the UK. Plus, when you get onto the international circuit you start to make contacts and are able to access information that will stand you in good stead for the future. Think of this move more as the start of your journey.

Be aware that if your partner is coming out without a job and you have no kids then life can get extremely boring for him/her. Just something to be mindful of.

Most of all enjoy it. And well done to you for making the move. I know of so many people who complain endlessly about being in the UK but wont do anything about it. I have the utmost respect for you for giving this a go and I hope it works out well.

february31st likes this.
  13. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I won't comment on the wages as I'd just be repeating what people have already said, but I just wanted to say that your partner will only be bored if they stay at home doing nothing. There are plenty of fantastic things that I know I'd be doing if I was the non-working partner - I'm often quite jealous of my husband having the opportunity to do stuff he'd never have time for if he was working, from taking classes in things he's interested in, to doing volunteer work. He is far from being bored! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about life in KL that I can help with.

14. knicknakss

knicknakss New commenter

One school starts at 15,500 plus accommodation for 2 years' experience.

15. taiyah

Care to pm the school?

16. Allworknosleep

Allworknosleep New commenter

MOE and Malaysian immigration requirements are for 3 years experience.

17. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Just beware of the school which sounds like a crown. Awful place to work.

18. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I should have said that my 18k was for 10+ years.

I have to agree that your offer sounds fair for NQT+1.

19. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Quite a few people at my school had less than 3 years teaching experience when they started, and presumably there was no issue with visas.

20. taiyah

Malaysia is an amazing country for all expats. Yes, like any, have its faults and questionable cultural practices in schools. But if money is the height of a young teacher's agenda then the ME should be considered. There a young'un <5 years experience can clear in the hand 14900RM a month. No bills to pay for or rent. For a 10+ teacher, depending on the school its a solid 17500 - 20000RM.