1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuala Lumpur Living

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pjones124, May 8, 2012.

1. Hey there, I'm moving to KL this summer and wanted some info on places to live, pros n cons etc...
    I've been looking at Riana Green, Surian Condo, Armanee and Desa ParkCity. Basically looking for somewhere that isn't too packed, a few bars, restaurants etc in the vicinity would be good, a gym...all for a handsome sum of roughly 3000RM.

Any advice on this would be greatly welcome!
    Cheers

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

KL? You lucky so-and-so. Mrs Hippo and I were there recently and she said, "I'd like to live here." How hard is it to get a job there?

3. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

I'm going to KL too. Haven't the school been able to give you an idea about where to look? Somewhere near the school would seem sensible.

4. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

When are you going molly? All ready?

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

It's a great life! 3K will get you a very nice place in any area bar none that I can think of and I live in one of the more expensive places. Negotiate hard. You're gonna love it here :)

6. Thanks a lot for the feedback, Ive just realised that all these posts are up here. Also realising ive no idea how to add to a thread so I think this just comes up as a specific reply?? Anyway, thanks again. Looking forward to moving, working and living in KL. Any more info on 'things to do', places to drink etc would be greatly appreciated!

7. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Drinking is best in parties or in cheap Chinese outdoor places - partying in town is expensive! KL is way weaker than Bangkok, Jakarta, HK or Singapore in the drinking stakes. Changkat is the main bar area now and lots of hidden nightclubs that are ignored by most expats but good with friends - you need local friends to find what's trendy. Malaysia is at it's best when doing non western things like seeing rainforests, kayaking, going to open houses and watching the rain with a book, although enough nightlife as a distraction if you so wish.