1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS5 nrich question on "dodgy proofs"

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stevencarrwork, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I noticed that EDEXCEL FP2 solve a lot of inequalities by doing things like multiplying by (x+1)^2(x-2)^2.

Is this entirely valid, as if 3 > 1, then it is not true that 3 times 0 > 1 times 0?

What happens if you multiply by (x+1)^2 and x = -1?

But the book just does that sort of multiply all the time.

2. I lik D Franklin's explanation.

3. It's valid with the proviso that "you need to pay attention at the points where you're multiplying by 0".

Typically you'd multiply by (x+1)^2 where there's a division by (x+1) somewhere in the original expression. In which case x = - 1 is not going to be a valid solution point. In most cases, this will happen "automatically" when you multiply by (x+1)^2, but if I was actually doing a question I wouldn't rely on it. It only takes a couple of moments to 'sanity check' the end points. On the other hand, I don't think you need to explicitly say that you've done the sanity check.

For what it's worth, this is the approach Siklos advocates for inequalities in the STEP guides, so that's a validation from someone reasonably well qualified.