1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS5 Introduction to Loops(For, Repeat Until and While Do) Observation Lesson

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by fhassan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fhassan

fhassan New commenter

Hi.
    I'm in a bit a of a pickle. I've opted to be observed during a BTEC programming lesson. The topic is introduction to loops and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

2. fhassan

fhassan New commenter

Hi.
    I'm in a bit a of a pickle. I've opted to be observed during a BTEC programming lesson. The topic is introduction to loops and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

3. If you've got reasonably well behaved kids do it kinisthetically where each kid is a line of the code - they hold up on a piece of paper which line they are and another kid runs round the code as a pointer ($i), swapping their piece of paper as the number goes up each loop. Another kid is the "output" of the loop and writes the answer on the board each time....

If it's done well you just need to swap the For i = 0 to x ... with the Repeat Until / While Do lines of code to show how the loop is working differently!

4. Ahh... I was waiting for the truly awful kinaesthetic and 'active learning' suggestion for KS5 students!
    If you have a level 3/KS5 course then you should be able to teach this to your 18 year olds without insulting their intelligence and/or embarressing them.
    • Explain the WHILE loop. Important to trace it through the debugger and carefully explain the exit.
    • Give them a couple of interesting challenges to apply their understanding.
    • Then do the REPEAT loop. Trace it through the debugger and carefully explain the that the exit is at the end. Reinforce this key point.
    • Give them a couple of interesting challenges to reinforce their understanding.
    • Finally, the most tricky loop. Again, trace some examples through the debugger to show how the control variable is fixing the number of times round the loop. Reinforce that this loop is typically (but not exclusively) used for fixed number of times round.
    • Give them a couple of interesting challenges to apply their understanding.
    Then give them a bigger more open challenge which will require them to use different loops to solve the problem.

5. gedlad

gedlad New commenter

Looks like Pascal?. If you're in a fix and stuck for ideas, I've dropped my Pascal notes into resources - Post 16 - Software Development.
    Iteration section is intact but the last section or so (records, memory management) has been deleted (by one of my little dears no doubt) but I'll update with the complete version when I find it.
    Ged

6. fhassan

fhassan New commenter

The kids in the lesson do take a little bit of time to grasp programming concepts so your kinesthetic suggestion might just help them to understand the idea of looping.
    Thanks!

7. fhassan

fhassan New commenter

The class find programming difficult and your above suggestions are much appreciated, but I think one loop concept at a time would be better.
    Thanks!

8. fhassan

fhassan New commenter

Yes, using Pascal. I'm going to have a look at your resource now.