1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS5 Co-Ordinator

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by DalekTeacher, Jan 9, 2016.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hello,
    This is my seventh year of teaching and enjoy teaching A Level. I have marked for the A Level specifications and continue to do this on a yearly basis and equally at GCSE. I wanted to ask the best way to go about applying for KS5 co-ordinator roles and what would make a person suitable for such a role?
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Erm... Just apply if you feel like you want to be in charge of the curriculum under the guidance of HoD/F.

I do not know what subject you teach, but before I was HoD English, I was KS5 Coordinator and whilst I enjoyed creating the curriculum maps, you've got make sure you know what suits the needs of your students and the teachers of the school. If you're experienced with teaching (and not just marking) different specs, then that's a good start because you can incorporate different elements from each into creating a stylized and personal KS5 map that demonstrates all skills that isn't just for that spec, but what prepares them for undergraduate or FE.

I think the most significant element for being a KS5 coordinator is that your subject knowledge needs to be immaculate. For GCSE, if I'm teaching Lord of the Flies, I just really need to know the basis surrounding the publication date and the time it was written. So about 3-5 years max is all that is appropriate. But for A-level, if I were teaching Dracula, I'd need to know the whole era of the Victorian era, what critics and contemporary scholars have said about Dracula. I'd need to know a whole lot on Gothic horror, drawing my knowledge from different novels and texts of that same genre. I'd also need to know a lot more about Stoker's stylistics. Not to mention to remember more high level linguistic and literary terminology.

You need to understand how 16-18 year olds think. In my opinion and experience, I find it 10x easier to motivate GCSE students than A-level students. So you need to make sure you know how to motivate them because it will be on your head (most likely) if many students drop the A-level(s) you are responsible for. You must make sure you're an "outstanding" teacher that can demonstrate good practice. You won't just be responsible for the curriculum, but for the teaching and learning - so planning assessments under HoD, marking them, feedback. You should familiarise yourself with the exam office in your school and make sure you're good at liaising with many different staff.

I could honestly go on and on and on. But feel free to PM me if you want know more.

3. richardrogersscience

richardrogersscience New commenter

I think that your 'A' - Level experience will be a massive selling point, along with your extensive examiner practice.

I would say that you are already in a good position to start applying for jobs like this.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I'm sure you'll find a great position at a great school.

Richard

Richard James Rogers

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]