1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS5 Class sizes

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mugofteawouldbenice, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Do you have a student limit for KS5?
    I'm currently capping each class to 12 students, but am under pressure to take more. What do you do?
    Thanks!

2. Do you have a student limit for KS5?
    I'm currently capping each class to 12 students, but am under pressure to take more. What do you do?
    Thanks!

3. 12 !!!!!!
    pardon 12 ?!?!??!?

4. I know I'm in a somewhat lucky situation at the moment! Please don't hate me! Currently I have 25 students at AS, and next year is looking very similar, but its being questioned why they should be broken into 2 classes.
    I've found loads of stuff on KS3/4 class size caps, but only one line in a DATA document which even mentions higher caps for KS5 (I know most are more worried about getting enough to run the course).
    Just need a bit of amunition whillst the timetabling process continues!

5. I believe the limit is suggested at 18, my HoF liked to keep to 12 (he teaches Product Design) i usually have 16-18 in textiles but its really hard work and makes doing theory more difficult because less time for presentations, making ends up being lots of after school lessons with less of them. The school are extending 6th form again next year and will push all classes up as high as they can. Currently the cap is 24 I think for all other subjects but this is increasing. From a space point of view its pretty ridiculous I think.

6. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

We have 28 pupils currently in Yr12 and 18 in Yr13. There are only two members of staff delivering the course, myself and my 2ic. We teach 220 boys RM at KS4 Yr11 with five members of staff. I find the number of students we teach at AS hard work owing to the pressure created by the numbers taught at GCSE. So a "cap" is relative to other workloads for us and relates directly to those high numbers. Furthermore, we take externals and sometimes they are someway behind where "our" students are starting from. We introduced some stipulations recently that have helped, instead of a cap. Those were that any student who intended on doing AS must have an A or A* for DT GCSE and a B for english. This has worked well....ish, we got a 97% pass rate last year with 220 boys, 98 A's and A*, the rest were nearly all B's. Furthermore, we have found that we have had to tailor our brief, to fit in with high numbers, from a resource/cost issue and have to keep a close eye on projects. Any subject with a coursework element has to consider the numbers of students on role and finance, timetable,staff and resource accordingly.
    Cheers
    Spencer Herbert
    DT TES Advisor
    www.accessfm.com