1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS4 Science options

Discussion in 'Science' started by pwc9000, Mar 2, 2011.

1. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I am not a Science teacher - I teach Maths. The questions I have below stem from being concerned about the direction of my school's KS4 Science offer which has particularly come to my attention as a tutor dealing with the options process.
    - What is statutory in terms of Science teaching during KS4? Is it just a case of pupils must be taught some Science whatever it is?
    - How much teaching time during KS4 is reasonable to deliver a double Science GCSE (is it called Core + Additional??)?
    - Ditto about teaching time for triple separate Science GCSEs?
    - In terms of KS3 NC levels, what level would a pupil need to be to access & cope with a double Science GCSE? Ditto triple separate?
    Thanks.

2. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I am not a Science teacher - I teach Maths. The questions I have below stem from being concerned about the direction of my school's KS4 Science offer which has particularly come to my attention as a tutor dealing with the options process.
    - What is statutory in terms of Science teaching during KS4? Is it just a case of pupils must be taught some Science whatever it is?
    - How much teaching time during KS4 is reasonable to deliver a double Science GCSE (is it called Core + Additional??)?
    - Ditto about teaching time for triple separate Science GCSEs?
    - In terms of KS3 NC levels, what level would a pupil need to be to access & cope with a double Science GCSE? Ditto triple separate?
    Thanks.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

It's statutory for students to do broad and balanced science.
    Currently, minimum requirement is 1 GCSE in core science.
    Double science needs the time slot for 2 GCSEs.
    Some schools fit triple GCSE into 2 slots, some do 3. Compressed triple award is the main reason schools start to do GCSE in year 9.
    If the qualification name has the word "applied" in it or does not have the letters GCSE, then it doesn't count for the Bacc.
    Best wishes,
    P

4. Level 2 BTEC also covers the statutory Programme of Study at KS4.

5. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Is that the case if it is only a certificate and not diploma?

6. Certificate covers it. Check this document;
    nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/downloader/printpdf/244724

7. As has already been quoted the only statutory obligation is that schools teach 'core science' (or the BTEC equivalent). This is usually done during the end of year 9 and continues through year 10. Additional science is then taught through year 11 (and some schools may offer this as an option).
    In my school science occupies 10 x 50 lessons a fortnight through KS4, and secondaries within my LEA are very similar.
    Teaching of separate science (triple science) varies somewhat more; not all schools currently offer it, although I think there is more of a drive to gets school to take it on. Several schools I know of offer separate science with no extra curriculum time (yet choose to start the GCSE in the January of year 9). Some schools (mine included) offer extra curriculum time and offer separate science as an option, in which case we are rewarded(!) with an extra 6 lessons a fortnight in order to cover the additional modules.
    All pupils operating at and above level 3 should be capable of both science and additional science to a grade G (at least in my experience); we've had 100% A*-G every year since this current format of GCSE was introduced in 2007.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter