1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS4 Mental Health scheme of work - trial schools wanted

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by reallyhere, Sep 28, 2015.

1. reallyhere

reallyhere New commenter

Hi all,

At the University of York we are creating a scheme of work that looks at the different mental health disorders people may come across in their lives and the associated stigmas with these. We are working with CAMHS and various charities to ensure that everything we create will be top quality. The intention is to eventually make the scheme of work and resources available free for all schools to use.
    We are looking for schools who are willing to trial these resources. As this is a new project the initial stages will simply be giving students a baseline questionnaire to assess their current understanding and feelings towards mental illness. Once our resources have been developed we will ask the scheme of work to be taught and then the questionnaire re-given. Once tested, our pilot schools will be able to use the resources as they wish and there may be scope to work on additional projects in the future.
    If this is something your school would be interested in please contact me for more details:
    stephanie.charles@york.ac.uk

Many thanks

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Who are 'we'?

3. reallyhere

reallyhere New commenter

Hello Vince,
    The project is being run by the C2D2 centre from the University of York: http://www.york.ac.uk/c2d2/
    I am the project Outreach Officer and have been a teacher in a comprehensive for 7 years.

4. Vince_Ulam

Hello Stephanie, thanks for replying.

PSHE SOW development is an unusual choice for York C2D2 given that its website does not list York's Department of Education among its Research Centres. There is only a passing reference to schools as partners and 'stakeholders' at the very bottom of the About page. In public relations and outreach these terms are recognisably synonyms for resources and consumables.

This sounds like someone's Master's project nesting inside C2D2, then it isn't clear that any school answering your want would gain anything of any proven educational value that they themselves are not equally qualified and able to produce.

It's to be hoped that anyone inviting you into their school that you may tell them how to teach will first be invited to witness the implementation of this SOW in your own school that they may learn from your experience.

5. reallyhere

reallyhere New commenter

Hello Vince.

This is not anybody's Masters or PhD, it is simply a project designed to create high quality resources that schools can use in their PHSE lessons. There is no additional agenda. Schools will simply gain resources which have been produced alongside charities and other organisations who are experts in mental health knowledge. This is an extremely new project which is why details of it are not as yet listed on C2D2 web pages - these will become available soon.

6. Vince_Ulam

No, I did not think PhD, but if not Masters and with no involvement from York's Education Department then it sounds arbitrary.

When updating the C2D2 website it would be useful to list, alongside the names of the charities and other individual mental health experts recruited to this orphan project, the names of contributing experts in curriculum development and PSHE. This is the sort of thing that will inspire confidence from any school interested in subjecting their students to your untested materials & processes.

7. reallyhere

reallyhere New commenter

Vince,

Thanks for your interest and comments. If you - or any other TES members - have any expertise in this area I would welcome the chance to discuss this project with you in greater depth. Please see the top post for my email address.

8. lauracampbell1984

lauracampbell1984 New commenter

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for this, it sounds really interesting. I think, whatever the motivation, if something is produced that helps illustrate the issues surrounding mental health for young people then that's great. It is definitely a gap in the 'market' for PHSCE programmes. I think that teaching staff in schools should have the skills to be able to adjust the content and delivery in order to make it 'of educational value'. So I disagree with Vince's take above. If you are producing the SOW, then it is the job of the school to make a decision on whether or not it is right for their context, if not in its entirety, then in parts.

I will email you to register my interest.

9. Vince_Ulam

Good luck, Stephanie.

10. Vince_Ulam

It's one thing to say you disagree, it's another thing to say with what.