1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS4 Food Technology - how do you mark practical lessons?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by kate-lynm, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Am just about to start teaching KS4 Food Technology.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to mark their indiviual practical lessons? Do you relate it to any kind of GCSE grade or do you use a seperate scale (which could then be adapted for targets / report grades?)?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kate

2. Is anyone able to help me with the above! Practicals have started and at the moment I'm just giving them constructive verbal feedback, but will need something to put in my mark book.
    Thanks

3. Are you talking about practical work taken as part of a GCSE Controlled Assessment task?
    If so feedback has to be limited to generic feedback to the whole group. However if you are enquiring about general teaching then it is normal Assessment for Learning. Your school should have an assessment policy for this.
    In any case it would be difficult to give grades, as these relate to overall not specific achievement.

Hope this is of some help.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Ages since I markedpractical work, but it used to be marks awarded for weighing and prep, hygiene and finished product. There's an assessment sheet I used for KS3 on resources here which may help.

5. I never gave marks for individual practicals only the assessments at end of half term unit which was linked to a mini part of the CT type activity in yr 10. They got an overall grade. If you grade individual practicals kids will think this is the GCSE grade they will get (once inherited 3 groups like this- disaster)

6. I also do not "mark" any practicals - they get feedback on how to make improvements.(organisation/skills used/outcome/presentation etc) In my markbook I have a page per student & note down the dish they made & if any particular skills were displayed/used. We also take a lot of photos.

7. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

The OCR form for practical observations is very good. It includes boxes to tick the skills used from a choice of 30, a choice of three (working competently, with some help and requires a lot of help) for Making Activity: Organise activities, select and use appropriate ingredients, select and use appropriate equipment, work safely, work hygienically and manipulative skills.
    Then there are five boxes to tick the standard of the finished product ranging from high quality down to poor.
    There is also room for a comment/changes box where I would say what extra electrical equipment they used or changes they had made to the original recipe.
    I adapted it slightly by moving everything over to one side to make room for thumb-nail prints down the side. (Pupils included larger copies in with their work).

8. Hi Jan, would it be possible to email me a copy of the marksheet? It sounds really useful, but I can't find it on the OCR website. Kind regards. tillymint2@live.co.uk

9. We are also doing OCR & I haven't seen this form -(we are doing Food & Nutrition) - although could be useful - could I also see a copy
    Many thanks
    Jill

10. janharper

If you PM me your email I can send you a copy.
    Jan

11. Please may I ask for a copy too Jan.
    Hx

12. please may I also have a copy .........or would it be easier for you to upload it onto resources ?
    su.gordon@yahoo.co.uk

13. janharper

It is not my work to upload. What do others think?

14. Can I request a copy too? I have looked on OCR website but can't find it.Thank you.
    regina.darcy@gmail.com

15. Thank-you Jan

16. Thanks Jan, I am very grateful.

17. Would also appreciate a copy, difficult to post it on resources when not original to you, sounds like you have 'tweaked' it though.
    hayhurstb@aol.com

18. Hi Jan,
    I know this message was a year ago but I would really like a copy of the marking sheet. My email address is kimberley.ransome@gmail.com. Hopefully you still have the sheet =)

19. janharper

Just sent them. Hope you find them useful.
    Jan