1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS4 english and maths score question

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thrupp, Jan 17, 2011.

1. This year's National Av for students gaining GCSE A* - C in English and maths is 55.4% set against 73% of KS2 students gaining level 4+ English and Maths.
    My question is why is the KS4 score not in line with that of KS2 at circa 70% ?
    I'm sure there is a simple explanation

2. That's a very interesting take on things

3. Educating vs Teaching, how o the two differ?

4. So nothing to do with low expectations and poor teaching in the secondary sector then!
    I am relieved, that will explain why the government and media had nothing to say on the matter !
    It also explains how my school's pupils made progress " cheating and teaching to the tests" I always wondered..............................A strategy, one could say, borrowed from KS4, without the course work fiddle mind!!!!!!!!

5. pinot

pinot New commenter

If you are serious about this question I have taught many students who cannot write their name yet have level 5s, simply because they have a reader and a scribe. So we therefore have to concentrate and educating these students in the basics before we can teach them. However I have seen your posts a lot Thrupp and feel this was just another excuse to bash secondary teachers. What sort of school are you head of?

6. pinot

pinot New commenter

Because if you don't understand the complex and simple reasons why there is not a direct correlation between the two then I hope you have nothing to do with secondary education

7. pinot

pinot New commenter

Thrupp I also work in an area of high deprivation, we work on that if a student achieves a L5 at ks2 they will achieve a C, but if they do not achieve a L6 in ks3 they will not achieve a C grade. I know CVA is calculated on ks2 results but they are open to so many different factors so we need a realistic snapshot of our students.

To stop this gap between attainment from ks2 and entering secondary I personally believe that teaching to the test should be stopped. After the test instead of teachers winding down, there should be a focus on only literature, numeracy and making sure the students are ready for secondary. I am sure you agree there does need to be a major upheaval of our entire education system as if fails kids, the kids are forgotten and achievements or failures are attributed to the teacher.

8. Could there also be an element of "bums on seats"?
    ie 11 yr olds are more likely to be getting more supervised study- better attendance in school and parental help, than teenagers who are expected to study independently and get themselves to school? Maybe the KS4 is a more accurate reflection of actual ability? And isn't teaching a curriculum a means to passing an exam...is that teaching or education or looking good on paper??

9. Pinots/Apoets,
    Thanks,
    I'm not going to disagree with anything, although, I'm not too sure that GCSE's could be looked upon as a more accurate anything.
    For me, the issue is all about continuation and how best to manage that. Many have suggested that KS3 starts in June, but for many of our pupils, KS2 skills should still be taught in yr7, probably up to year 8 for many, if catch up is to continue.
    I think the most important thing is that KS2 teachers understand KS3 and KS3 staff understand KS2, at present I do not think this is generally the case.
    It would be interesting to hear from anyone with experience of a straight through 4-16/18 school to see what they do.