1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS4 Assessment methods

Discussion in 'Science' started by Teacherindisguise, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Teacherindisguise

Teacherindisguise New commenter

Hey all,

I am looking at the assessment of our GCSE students under the current syllabus and wondered how other schools manage this.

We currently have 1 teacher for core and additional and use a combination of 1 or 2 past papers and formative assessments (using badger) each half term.

Personally I do not feel that the badger assessments are a true representation when it comes to the exams and need to adjust the way we handle the data to show progress.

My question is how do other schools assess at KS4?

Many thanks

E x

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Past paper questions and lots of them. We have 4 reporting points during the year and prior to each of those we use a standard test with our students (sometimes a combined paper, other time 3 separate papers) which we then assign grade boundaries to. This gives a reasonably accurate picture in that very few students achieve grades massively different to what we are expecting