1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Written Work

Discussion in 'Music' started by asdmumandteacher, Feb 12, 2011.

1. we always record our performances and compositions from key stage three and have kids do a brief written assessment on them. Usually about 2 assessments per half term. Aside from all of the above that you have mentioned we don't do too much more written work.

2. My year 7 have less than this in their folders. We do have to have a progress tracking sheet though where their current level must be written at the end of each unit and also something that shows their level at the start of year 7 and their target. They also have a sheet with the national curriculum levels information on it.

3. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

we use an A4 size exercise book - 1/2 lined paper, 1/2 manuscript. After each lesson their homework includes writing a 'diary' detailing the content of the lesson - Record Respond Reflect e.g. "Today I worked on some improvising in the dorian mode on a keyboard, keeping in time with a background beat. I found this quite easy because I am a Grade 3 pianist but keeping in strict time was sometimes tricky. When i attempt this task again I would like to maintain a better beat and vary my improvisation by including a section which is not in the Dorian mode" [Not that Y7 write like that of course].

4. casper

casper New commenter

If I send excercise books home for homwork to be done, that is the last I see of their exercise books.

5. Our year 7 get weekly homework for the core subjects but the other subjects have a half term slot for a project type task. I couldn't possibly keep up with marking if they had weekly homework - that would be a lot of marking as they only have 1 lesson a week.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Surely the fact they only have music once a week would mean less marking than say maths where they may have homework more than once per week? Am I missing something?

7. Maths usually mark key pieces of work once a week, mark in lessons as tasks are completed and often pupils mark each other's work in lessons. I would be very reluctant to use lesson time to mark - an hour a week is very little. (Next year it will be even less). The downside is that KS4 pupils seem to feel that they don't need to do their homework for Music.

8. It is not entirely clear what OFSTED would look for from Music departments in terms of written marking and written work. Schools certainly seems to be getting rather heavy handed about it (probably because of the new subcategory for assessment on OFSTED reports). I think written marking should obviously come after written work...but we don't do a lot of that in Music.

Other forms of assessment that have previously been considered satisfactory for Music at KS3 (structured oral feedback, modelling of higher quality work, marks against pre-composed criteria) appear to be becoming unacceptable as it is much harder to prove this feedback is having an impact (whereas a student writing a comment after the teacher obviously proves that it is...!).

I put a dictaphone in my pocket one day before Christmas and recorded a full (normal) day of oral feedback; I am going to insist that these five hours of MP3 files are taking into account with my written marking when the work-sampling comes.