1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 to reflect KS4 changes

Discussion in 'Science' started by hannahthomson2002, Jan 5, 2016.

1. hannahthomson2002

hannahthomson2002 New commenter

Hello!

I was wondering how schools are changing the way they deliver KS3 to reflect the changes at KS4?

I was thinking about the importance of teaching the practical skills that will be examined?

In addition, how are schools planning to mark and assess at KS3 without levels? Will you be using 9-1 from Year 7?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Hannah

2. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

We use a school wide system for assessment without levels- students are given a category from launching to mastery for each topic within ks3, based on threshold criteria that we produced as a department. In terms of new schemes of work, we arranged them last year in preparation for the new gcse, we have upped the level of challenge and now teach many of the old gcse topics in ks3, we also use old gcse exam questions for all their assessments.

3. hannahthomson2002

hannahthomson2002 New commenter

Hi Zuba102, thanks for your reply! What are the categories from launching to mastery and can they only have mastered a topic by the end of KS3? How are you tracking the underachievers and what are you doing for them? How are you planning to track the progress against the progress 8 measure? We are thinking of using the 9-1 throughout KS3 too.

We also use a lot of GCSE exam questions in their assessments and intend to build a lot of practical work into the schemes to reflect the changes.

Thanks,
    Hannah

4. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

Launching, establishing, developing, consolidating, securing, accomplishing, mastering. As I said this wasn't thought up by the science department, but is a whole school policy. We had to produce crib sheets which state what we expect them to know for each category for every ks3 topic. To be honest 1-9 would be a much easier system. We have been told mastering is the equivalent of a 5 at gcse, and this is where the majority of students are expected to be at the end of yr9. The complication arises as we start science gcse in yr9 so for my high ability group many of them are technically above mastery as they are working at the equivalent of a 7 or 8. In terms of underachievement, they no longer have targets at ks3, which makes it difficult to intervene. Slt have told us we should know if students are underachieving without targets, and intervene appropriately. Realistically this is quite difficult to achieve.

5. chris_easby

chris_easby New commenter

We are using resources we got from www.idealscience.co.uk
    They do a spreadsheet and assessment that tracks progress based on Bloom's that can be adapted quite nicely to fit into an existing scheme of work. We use it and OFSTED were really impressed. The transition then is based on skills and ability rather than worrying about content and it uses a 1-9 system so that it all fits together. It's not perfect mind you, but its cheap and it worked for us.

6. Rov1984

Rov1984 New commenter

We use idealscience too! The resources are pretty decent and it took almost no effort to get it going. The kids really get it and it means we can start projecting into the future and making predictions about GCSE grades. Still not sure what a 9 is but at least with this you can get a good idea if your students are using the right skills. Its worth buying just for the tracking spreadsheet. Everything is set out ready for you and in graph form. Our SLT were really impressed and it means I don't have to spend my free time preparing numbers for a meeting.

7. Rov1984

Rov1984 New commenter