1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Texts

Discussion in 'English' started by delilah, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I am looking to buy some new KS3 texts but was wondering what the general consensus is on choice of texts. I have been asked to buy 'War Horse' which I don't doubt is a great book but my feeling is that the kids will have seen the film and know the plot so why don't we buy something they will not have read or seen? To me, it seems a shame to just give them more of the same when there is so much choice out there. Thoughts please?

2. I am looking to buy some new KS3 texts but was wondering what the general consensus is on choice of texts. I have been asked to buy 'War Horse' which I don't doubt is a great book but my feeling is that the kids will have seen the film and know the plot so why don't we buy something they will not have read or seen? To me, it seems a shame to just give them more of the same when there is so much choice out there. Thoughts please?

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

I'm n the same boat and we were thinking of war Horse. His Private Peaceful is also a great book but has flashbacks etc & we want something for lower ability. Still, it's a great novel, but no film to go with it ;-)

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Always thought PP was good for lower ability! (Isn't a film coming soon of this one as well, btw?)