1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Textiles, so many questions - please HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by yvonnemansell, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am a Food/Catering teacher and have been asked to start teaching Textiles next year to all of KS3. I have no experience of teaching Technology textiles, my only experience of Textiles is Art based. I have so many questions - I dont't know where to start. It has been suggested that we would be able to purchase 5 sewing machines. Would this be managable to teach classes of 22 with? Do you have any advice for how best to set this up as a department and run successfully? As textiles has never been taught before I want to start with one porject that can be taught to all year groups and then each year introduce a new one so no pupil is repeating themselves. Do you have any ideas for could be taught taking into account my experience and allowing pupils to be able to access a wide range of levels? How much is the average textile budget? What would be the most important purchases for the first year? Which fabric would be the best and most cost effective to use? What methods of assessment do you use? Do pupils have to make a final product that has a function, can they do a sampling project or produce a stuffed creature/animal? What tips do you have for the general teaching and management of the subject? What do you see are the pitfalls?
    Finally does anyone have any resources they would be willing to share with me?
    Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give me.
    If you want to PM me my email is: ymansell@copley.tameside.sch.uk

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

There are lots of resources on this site as well!

3. vittychurchman

vittychurchman New commenter

I am not a Textiles teacher but I have taught it over the years. The first thing you need to do, as in all design & Technology subjects, is to set the Health & Safety guidelines. Ensure that bags are put away, hair tied back when on machines etc. Also consider where in the room the machines are being used as you do not want other students nudging students on the machines whilst collecting resources or equipment.
    Demo the basic set-up of the machine, I usually do not teach students how to wind a bobbin until year 8 but they should know how to put them in the machine. I also use a rhyme I was taught and I ensure the pupils memorise it using various simple starters and plenaries 'Across, Down, Up, Down and never the threads shall cross', I also tell them 'Thumbs up' when putting in the bobbin (for front loading machines only) as your hand in the thumb up position looks similar to the bobbin and reminds them which way to put it in.
    Before letting students loose on the machines get them to do a 'driving test', this is usually just a photocopy of straight & squiggly lines that they must follow using the machine (it does not need to be threaded for this. This allows them to understand how to control the machine.
    A common year 7 project is the 'beanie frog' but this can be adapted into other shapes, one school that I was at had the students design monsters with lots of hand embellishments which may be best for you as you do not have much access to machines. This is made from two pieces of fabric sewn into your shape, zig-zagged around (to avoid fraying), cut out, turned in the correct way and filled with wheat. The pupils can decorate with different types of embroidery or sew on buttons, ribbons etc.
    I hope this is of some help!