1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Textbooks

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by neetu228, Jun 16, 2015.

1. neetu228

neetu228 New commenter

Hi all

I'm working at a school where we do not have any KS3 textbooks. The headteacher has agreed to give us a very small budget. Can anyone make any suggestions on textbooks please? We are taking an approach on the mastery of mathematics so will need something to work with this. I'll be very grateful for any suggestions

2. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

What do you want the textbooks for? If you're looking for books with lots of practice and exercises, the cheapest and by some way the best quality are from Elmwood Press. If you want books which give loads of tips and advice with worked examples, but fewer questions in exercises, just about any of the rest. Elmwood Press work well for us.

Unlike previous poster, I dislike CGP - too busy. But they are cheap.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

CGP textbooks are nothing like the Revison Guides. And we use the £5 a copy KS3 textbooks - so would be better for your low budget. Book 1 L4-6, Book 2 L5-7, Book 3 L6-8. Good coverage.

5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

6. inara14

inara14 New commenter

We have just bought all of the CGP KS3 books for next year. They are very good and have a decent amount of practice, moving onto worded questions for each topic. At only £5 a book, we couldn't resist and were very pleasantly surprised!

We used to have the Level Up books which we didn't much like - these are a welcome change.

7. neetu228

neetu228 New commenter

Thank you all for your reply - we already bought the electronic copy of the CPG books but they were not a great hit. We've recently purchased the new GCSE books but want something more specific to KS3 in particular focusing on mastery of maths, I will look in to Elmwood