1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Testing Frequency

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hi
    Who is the assessment for?
    For teachers to plan? for kids to have feedback, for parents? or SLT?
    I really believe after the SATs got chopped kids should be tested and have some accountability for their learning. I understand weighing things every day isnt going to change it in anyway but feel 3 solid 'external exam style' test should be carried out in a sumative fashion
    <ol>[*]A formal exam at the end of term 1 testing work covered in term 1[*]A formal exam towards the end of term 2 testing work from term 1 <u>AND</u> 2[*]A formal exam towards the end of term 2 testing work from term 1, 2 <u>AND</u> 3</ol>Teachers are not given the exams in advance, the tests marked by other teachers and some form of consistency. There is no 'prepping for exams in class' The results are standardised and formally sent in writing to parents
    I have noticed a lot of kids are not mature enough when it comes to their first module external exam in year 10 as they have not had the 'pressure' of the exam period before. I believe exposing pupils to this form of assessment (whilst it remains our number one external examining process) is very important for kids to experience and take responsibility for
    In between 3 half termly more formative assessments that test a range of skills where the data can be used for teachers and is not released formally in writing to parents
    This can take the form of part testing and part APP/task based excercise.
    No data is sent home with 'working grades' or subjective 'APP' from teachers. All information sent home is a result of their childs test, like it or not. Kids may be better than their test results show but I find 9/10 times kids are not as good as their 'professional judgement' based grades suggest. It doesnt say in a kids GCSE certificate 'D grade but they were better you know in my opinion'...it says D grade.
    Classwork you mark is put in a folder for parents to view if they feel their kids has been hard done by or have done badly in their exams.
    There is no accountability for kids in KS3 which I feel needs to be changed.
    This is my ideal, but I am not a Hod and I dont subscribe to SLTs requirements more often than not.

2. Thanks Betamale, you make some good points and I agree about the accountability point.
    It's on accountability that I've based my ideas on. We work a lot on APP/AfL in my department and our marking policy is based on setting targets, identifying successes etc without reeling out loads of forms for staff to fill in and colour code. We assign a level through the evidence of classwork, via 'professional judgement' (I have promoted the use of Kangaroo Maths' level ladders for moderation of levels), but yes, the fact is that I'd like to put a summative judgement against formative.
    The half termly intermediate test would simply be a review of learning over the half term, whilst the progress test would be structured in the same way you described in your numbered points.
    Yes, it would take a lot of work to write them but I'm happy to do that if it gives students a better picture of their progress.

3. We use the Kangaroo maths materials too and like them a lot, the level ladders are great.

With regard to testing, we will be doing NC tests at the end of the year with each year group.

In addition to the APP assessments of matching exercises/whiteboards we do formal written tests too. We used the worksheets from the APP Toolkit to put the tests together, given that there is one for each AF it didn't take too much effort to put a few extra questions in to cover topics not covered by APP.

I understand what Betamale means about making the tests so teachers have not seen them in advance but that seemed like a huge amount of work to do every year or at the minimum a lot of cutting and sticking.

4. I forgot to add yesterday, I agree with Betamale about not having APP as some kind of subjective judgement, it's something we have discussed at length on a pervious thread so I won't go into that here and in any case that doesn't seem to be an issue for you anyhow.

And best of luck with your assessments.

5. I forgot to add yesterday, I agree with Betamale about not having APP as some kind of subjective judgement, it's something we have discussed at length on a pervious thread so I won't go into that here and in any case that doesn't seem to be an issue for you anyhow.

And best of luck with your assessments.