1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Starter Activities

Discussion in 'Music' started by JWH1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

First post one here so be gentle...

I'm doing my PGCE, enjoying it up to now lucky to be at a great school with supportive staff and great facilities - struggling with one thing! (well, two including finances but we'll not go there...) I can never seem to come up with good starter activities! Have got Year 8 Samba on Weds and want a really good starter to get them fired up (they've been doing it a few weeks and are enjoying themselves, just want a real good lesson!)

Any help/advice on this particular lesson or starters in general is appreciated!

All the best!

2. i the t

i the t New commenter

pass the clap round the class, knocking out whoever loses the pulse,
    pass the clap in a circle double clap reverses direction
    dont clap it back
    call and response rhythms (teacher then student led)
    clapping patterns in a round
    call and response intervals set to interval names
    tea coffee cappucino latte milk
    each student think of a number/beat between 1 and 16, you conduct and they make a weird noise at their chosen number/beat (add dynamics, change tempo, do with class keyboards)

3. Thanks will try that last one!

Have done variations of others in first few lessons but that's a new one!

Thanks for your time

4. Tapping - get them to keep the pulse in their left hand whilst
    tapping out different rhythms in their right hand - start simple e.g.
    crotchets and quavers, and gradually get more complicated.
    Contextual - watching a video clip of a samba carnival or samba dance and asking questions like where/when/how are they playing/listening to samba.
    Google stomp canon - it's a really good one with actions that teaches them to internalise a pulse.
    Clapping 4 beats and then counting 4 in their head
    Listening to samba - asking them to list/name 3 features of samba that they can hear

5. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

How about using a sentence for each samba rhythm (e.g. 'I like co-co pops or I can see a shiny salamander) and getting the students to build up a vocal piece? Then they can try playing those rhythms on percussion? I've done this and it works well.

6. Thanks all! Feel well prepared now!

7. Rhythm bingo?

One thing i found worked really well (especially with low ability groups) is playing 'The odd one out'.
    Just had three instruments (or whatever) on the board and let the pupils come up with which one the odd one out is with their reason. It's open ended and so no risk of failing as long as they have a reason to back it up. Gets them using their literacy skills too (standards tick!)