1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 SOW

Discussion in 'Geography' started by rlgager, May 22, 2017.

1. rlgager

rlgager New commenter

Hi there,

I am an NQT (and subject coordinator from September!) and I really want to re-jig our KS3 curriculum. It would be really helpful if anyone could give me a really brief overview (or less brief if you have one handy!) of their KS3, I'm planning it and trying to tick all the NC boxes! I can send my email by message. Thanks so much in advance! Robyn :)

At the moment ours is:

Y7
    Intro - human/physical, quality of life indicators
    Weather and climate
    Rainforests and Deserts
    Global warming

Y8
    Tectonics
    Demographics and pop
    Rivers
    Shopping

Y9
    Coasts
    Economic development
    Settlement
    Urbanisation

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

We have a 2 year KS2.

We cover:
    Year 7
    Local Geography (including human and physical), - settlement
    Our place in the country - urban geography, significant settlements, services.
    Map skills fit within those two but I do have a separate short scheme depending on how things have gone
    Earthquakes
    Volcanoes
    Farming/fair trade - globalisation if we can fit it in

Year 8
    Coasts (we are on the coast, so get out and about)
    Weather and Climate - including a microclimate investigation on the school site
    Deserts
    Impossible places - adapted from the RGS (Las Vegas to follow on from deserts, which builds on weather)

We also have to revise for end of year exams.
    I'd like to do a lot more but apparently other subjects need to be taught! It makes sense in my head!