1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Science Project - Fresh innovating ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Science' started by WindsurferChris, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Dear all

Currently in Y7 we do CASE or Thinking Science, a series of 5 lessons teaching a variety of skills such as variables, data types, graph work etc.

In Y8 we have no such scheme and teach the science modules only. This year I would like to integrate another short module split up throughout the year. I am just unclear what I want to put in it and I?m looking for ideas.

It needs to be enjoyable and ?out of the box?, so to speak! I was thinking maybe some sort of puzzle for one of them and maybe a murder mystery/detective work for another. I don?t want standard graph work, how to write a conclusion?etc! I want something fresh and different, maybe focusing on other areas of science like debating theory or even ethics?
    Does anyone have any ideas or currently do anything similar? It needs to be a constructive break for students between modules, only one or two lessons between a module (maybe 4 a year) but hopefully allowing them to use the skills they have acquired in Y7.

Ideas greatly appreciated.

Chris

2. Dear all

Currently in Y7 we do CASE or Thinking Science, a series of 5 lessons teaching a variety of skills such as variables, data types, graph work etc.

In Y8 we have no such scheme and teach the science modules only. This year I would like to integrate another short module split up throughout the year. I am just unclear what I want to put in it and I?m looking for ideas.

It needs to be enjoyable and ?out of the box?, so to speak! I was thinking maybe some sort of puzzle for one of them and maybe a murder mystery/detective work for another. I don?t want standard graph work, how to write a conclusion?etc! I want something fresh and different, maybe focusing on other areas of science like debating theory or even ethics?
    Does anyone have any ideas or currently do anything similar? It needs to be a constructive break for students between modules, only one or two lessons between a module (maybe 4 a year) but hopefully allowing them to use the skills they have acquired in Y7.

Ideas greatly appreciated.

Chris

3. Hi Chris,

I just finished my PGCE in science and for my final project I looked at ways of presenting practical work differently to the usual 'fair test model'. The practical I used might be the kind of thing you're looking for.

'All' you need is a set of trolleys, ramps, stop clocks, a load of masses, cardboard, perhaps some play dough and anything else you can think of. Tell the students they are going to be soap box derby (see google) race engineers and it's their job to give the design team recomendations on how to build the car.

I split the class into groups and gave them a deadline for having completed a report and little presentation which used experimental evidence to recomend something to the design team. The sorts of things they did was look at mass distribution (taping masses above wheels, at the back of car, or front of car), adding wings and nose cones, and simply adding mass.

It was a really interesting practical because I didn't know the outcome myself and it gave them real freedom to investigate. You could make it more of a project by giving them access to equipment over several lessons. I found that given enough time they were testing initial ideas then asking questions about their results and doing experiments based on that.

Hope that's of help

Sean