1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 SATs

Discussion in 'English' started by millicent_bystander, Jan 29, 2012.

1. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I know these are no longer a compulsory part of the curriculum, but we are under pressure to continue with the process. The issue is that these will be marked internally and there is a question as to the accuracy.
    One of my key focuses this year is to instigate training to make the marking process more rigorous, but does anyone have tests marked externally? If so, who marks them and how much does it cost?
    I'm trying to weigh up both options and can't seem to find any information anywhere.
    Thanks in advance.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I think someone told me about a fiver per student but that was a while ago. We don't use them but a friend does in her school and they all mark a section rather than a student's scripts because they feel this makes the marking more accurate. Personally, I think the teacher's time or the money could be better spent but, just as in your case, the decision is SMT's not the department's.