1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 pupils' interests. How to make resources appealing?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Elboxi, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Elboxi

Elboxi New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have recently moved from Germany to England to teach modern foreign languages at KS3.

I am currently adapting teaching materials to make them more appealing to pupils in this country. In some cases, all I would need is to change a few personal names in the PowerPoints and activity sheets that I have developed in the past.

Would anyone here have any recommendations about artists/singers/movies/games/athletes that Year 7 and Year 8 pupils in England would find particularly interesting?

Any tips are most appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Juan

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Shouldn't you be using German athletes/singers etc?

Elboxi likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Why don't you ask the students ?

Elboxi and hammie like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

From a cultural perspective - yes but some teachers want to exploit grammar points so any ‘ personality ‘ will do . I recall using a Spanish text book which used then current music / sporting personalities - soon became v dated and our students just did not relate ... ( to anything much as I recall ! ) . Never assume your students will be interested/ engaged though I do understand your approach

Elboxi likes this.
  5. Elboxi

Elboxi New commenter

Thanks for the reply so far.
    That's a very good point meeggyd. I have already included some German references throughout, which serve the purpose of making the language an entry door to the culture. However, I wanted to balance it slightly and include some English cultural references too. It is fair if they are able to speak "in German" about their own interests too.
    Thanks again,
    Juan

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

totally agree, ask the children. Especially Year 7 pupils will be used to being asked and their opinions acted on. School Council is often taken very seriously at Primary. Tutor groups can be a great help with this sort of thing.

Elboxi likes this.