1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Project - A new approach for Primary Research

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Get_me_outta_here!, Mar 4, 2012.

1. A year 9 project which I deliver uses a questionnaire as primary research. It's a tick the box feature which needs changing! Pupils end up making up the answers to suit their intended project and I feel it underminds the entire process. Help!
    Anyone use any other primary research that works well that the pupils actually enjoy?
    (project is a CAD/CAM novelty photo-frame)
    Thanks
    Lee

2. I've got a set of images that I printed and laminated, including the price and sizing, and get the kids to do product analysis on them - it works out at around 1 between 2, and then they swap and do a different product, before discussing their findings in tables and feeding back to the group...
    For questionnaires, I usually set them as homework, and suggest they ask their form tutor, parents, siblings etc.... We create a list of "targets" to ask and then use a random number of class mates as well.

3. Use a different form of primary research - set the target market and ask them to produce client profiles or another thing we do is asking to design for a specific brand. We use the shop liberty and ask them to research both the historical origins (arts and crafts) and current markets - which can be very modern. Another idea is to set the theme e.g nature and machine. They then produce inspiration boards based on it.