1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 novels

Discussion in 'English' started by daz2813, May 1, 2012.

1. Is there an actual list of recommended KS3 reading texts or can teachers choose whatever they like?

2. Is there an actual list of recommended KS3 reading texts or can teachers choose whatever they like?

3. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Pretty much choice. Need to cover requirements of the National Curriculum.

4. There's a list of recommended authors in the NC but this is quite extensive and not fully prescriptive as far as I know.

5. Thanks, any idea where I can find this list and the guidelines?

6. You'd probably be able to find the KS3 programme of study if you did an internet search but to help you I've uploaded this in my resources. It will take up to an hour from now to appear but after that if you just click on my name it should appear at the top. I've also attached the summary sheets I made, based on the POS, for a staff meeting I held in which we checked we were covering everything we needed to. I was told by our LA consultant not to worry about the authors too much though as this is guidance. I'd read the POS carefully to see which bits are mandatory.

7. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

I know there is a recommended list, but we don't use it at all in our school; we teach what we like.

As long as the text is engaging for kids, loved by the teacher, is good enough to allow comment on language, structure, imagery, character and theme, then I think anything goes. Of course, the more well taught the text is, the more resources there will be on it on the internet!

8. manc

manc New commenter

Maybe.
    I'd say the more often taught

9. y9840125

Well my HOD has told me she is getting in a set of Hunger Games for me to teach next year - hurrah!

10. manc

manc New commenter

Hmmm........[​IMG]

11. y9840125

You don't like The Hunger Games manc?

12. manc

manc New commenter

Tess?
    At KS3????

13. But not Skellig?

14. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I simply don't get Skellig. And I find a lot of my students don't either and I can't actually help them out. I can get that we're not necessarily supposed to know what Skellig is - but I don't understand the point.

15. y9840125

A somewhat abridged version but still substantial enough.

16. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

That sounds good - can you remember the exact edition/publisher?

17. My lot all decide that he's an angel as soon as the wings appear - no room for discussion, especially by the time the baby gets cured!

18. manc

manc New commenter

I can't imagine discussing Tess's assault in the woods by Alec with Year 7 !

19. y9840125

No - year 9 and then the focus was on Prince's death being the catalyst for other events in Tess's life.

20. manc

manc New commenter

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the interesting discussion on teaching a Thomas Hardy novel to year 9s. Hope you enjoyed it.