1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Music Composition and the Interactive Whiteboard

Discussion in 'Music' started by gilberd, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know of some software that will show the notes I am playing on a MIDI keyboard on the interactive whiteboard as I play them? I am struggling to teach dance music and need to be able to show the whole class the kinds of riffs needed.
    I use the interactive keyboard but this doesn't work with MIDI so students are getting confused.
    Any help gratefully received!
    Alan

2. Hi,
    Does anyone know of some software that will show the notes I am playing on a MIDI keyboard on the interactive whiteboard as I play them? I am struggling to teach dance music and need to be able to show the whole class the kinds of riffs needed.
    I use the interactive keyboard but this doesn't work with MIDI so students are getting confused.
    Any help gratefully received!
    Alan

3. I've done this in three ways.
    1. using cubase and bringing up the keyboard took, which shows the key presses.
    2. Using Sibelius - but the notes come up as notes on a stave - I then use the note-name plug-in to say what they are
    3. I borrowed a web cam from the science departement and mounted it on a retort stand over the piano - I then used some animation software to put this on the white board - this worked the best but was abit fiddly. Got a lovely view of the keyboard from above. I then took a snap shot and wrote over itusing the interactive pens.

4. Thanks I will try this although I don't have Cubase, I have Mixcraft but I dare say I could do something similar.
    Alan

5. dropje

dropje New commenter

We often video ourselves playing the piano then add it to a powerpoint. Works a treat.

6. Thanks!
    I will definitely try that!
    Alan

7. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

This is an interesting question!
    I've recently used some software that came with Evolution keyboard controllers (a few years ago). When 'Sound Studio' is loaded there is an option to bring up a virtual keyboard that displays horizontally. The keyboard has voices / styles / rhythms.
    YGS Virtual Piano from Yellow Gold Soft dot com will load without a sequencer (cost is about £8.00)
    There are other VST synths you can use with your sequencer, some of them work well as demos but may time out after about 20 mins.
    You could also try http://www.synthesiagame.com/

8. If you have a mac, Garageband will do this. I've always videoed myself doing it, uploaded it to Youtube and showed it to students in class. Always works well!

9. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

I just found this free software - PC 73 Virtual Piano Keyboard - and will test it with the smartboard.