1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by keithwlp, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I have been asked to teach KS3 maths to a Looked After Child, but I dont have any text books. Could someone please tell me which ones I need?

2. I have been asked to teach KS3 maths to a Looked After Child, but I dont have any text books. Could someone please tell me which ones I need?

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Hadn't you heard, we don't use textbooks any more? [​IMG]
    Anyway, is the child attending school? If so, talk to the school and find out what they use - they may be prepared to lend a copy.
    If not, there are a small number of KS3 textbooks in wide use. The Oxford Framework Maths set are popular as are Colins Maths Frameworking.
    Both series have books for each of years 7, 8 & 9 and offer various levels of books for each year intended to cover various ability levels.
    The Oxford books have a sub code in the title A = "Access", S = "Support", C = "Core", E = "Extension".
    With Maths Frameworking from Colins, there are 3 books for each year - Book 1 is the easiest, Book 3 the hardest. (Book 1 is a somewhere between Framework Maths Access & Support books, Book 3 about the same as Framework Maths Extension.)
    There are some downlaodable resources on Colins publising site that may get you going.

4. Of course CIMT offer a full and comprehensive resource for free.

5. ditto that.
    You can also get some old books off ebay that are deemed unfashionable
    These series are some of the best books I have used and are peanuts to buy (in nice big cut and paste text)
    by Ewart Smith

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

It really doesn't matter. One textbook is much the same as another. Go into a bookseller and find one you think the student might respond to.