1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Maths Text Books

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Al-k, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hi All,
    I have a bit of money and would like to get a lot of new books for my department. Mainly KS3 and I know what I want to get for KS4- the new collins blue text book....they seem pretty good!
    I need you guys and gals advice....whats the best KS3 text book? We have the Maths frameworking books...they are ok...but some topics are too poorly set up and just not realistic to go through in one lesson...and a few other problems....

So what are the suggestions pls? Thank you....

2. I find a lot of the newer style books far to quick to move on to quite complicated questions which are no good for the vast majority of students we teach at our school.

We've just bought some elmwood press books - ks3 maths, 7f, 8f and 9f for bottom sets. these are much more repetitive and allow you the option of setting 20 questions on the same topic if need be.

3. thanx...will check it out...

anyone tried heinemann level up maths?

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

When I get my HODs job when he retires in 2010 I'll be buying Level up for the department - he's kindly not buying any new books to let me have new ones when I take over (presuming I get his job!)

I like the fact that I can use the books with any year group and it not have a year ont he front, e.g. I could use L3-5 book with a Year 5 pupil and with a Year 8 LA pupil.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Oo, I really like the look of Level-Up.
    Now... where am I going to find £1200 from to buy a full set?

6. I agree with kas78 and splodgeface. I'm a great fan of the Elmwood press books too.
    Level up books are good but the advantage that you can use them with any year group is also a disadvantage in that some students could be on the same book for 3 or 4 years! Elmwood 9f might have some similar work to 8f but students feel they are progressing.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Anyone got any thoughts on Collins Frameworking?

8. Have you looked at STP Mathematics? Good traditional style textbooks with tons of exercises. It is published by Nelson Thornes

9. With the danger of this becoming 'me too' I would also suggest thinking hard about the type of textbook you need.

With a full team of maths teachers I think that the need is not for books that explain 'how to do maths' but rather a source of good questions (and answers sometimes) for a teacher to make professional decisions about how to use with their students.

Very many textbooks today seem to be designed for students to teach themselves out of - perhaps a function of the number of students being taught maths by non-maths teachers?

10. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I have used the Elmwood books and I know that they give the opportunity to give lots of practice and to pick out the questions you want. I have to say though they are very dull looking, is colour such a bad thing?

We currently use Oxford Frameworking and I don't always like the way things or done or have enough practice questions but they do bring different topic areas together and with thorough planning are a good resouce for many.

I am however wondering what text to buy for one year 7 class who are entering with level 4c may 4b because 7S and 7c don't seem to quite do it. I am looking at level up and collins framework.

11. Since when was the look of a textbook an important factor in learning...?

When you make up worksheets, presumably you use a black & white photocopier. Why should the textbook be any different? However, your prayers have been answered because Elmwood Press are busy churning out new editions in colour. You have to pay more for them... but still alot cheaper than the competition.

Regarding the Framework books - the only way I could use these is by committing to the overall package - SoW, starters and all the works. I prefer to do it my (our dept's) way. I like old-fashioned exercises with lots of varied questions. I don't believe you can learn equations by answering 5 questions and then moving on. It's not how I learnt.

12. They have sold well but I don't know why. The most confusing books ever written with huge jumps from one topic to the next.