1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 MATHS - HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by shakti1501, Jul 21, 2020.

1. shakti1501

shakti1501 New commenter

Hi all

I'm tutoring a friend's daughter in maths and spelling (mainly). Maths is where I am most at sea.

Although I can easily find the topics covered in KS3, can anyone please give any detail as to what specifically is covered in yr 7 and in yr 8 please?

My student has been homeschooled throughout yr 7, but may go back for yr 8. So we'd obviously like her to be at the right place.

Many thanks

Emma

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Sadly not. At primary, there is a year-by-year guide as to what should be covered. In secondary, we used to have a clear progression of level-based topics with a staging post at age 14. Even those have gone, and the National Curriculum now has a two page list of topics in no particular order. Different schools can choose in what order and over what time period they cover specific topics.
    Guess when this difficulty all started? 2010. Blame the Tories.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. shakti1501

shakti1501 New commenter

Thanks Adam. Really appreciate the response. And yes, if I'd had to guess, I'd know exactly who to blame ;)

Thanks again,

4. shakti1501

shakti1501 New commenter

Anyone got any suggestions for best textbook(s) to use please?

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

7. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

8. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

Hi shakti
    Just some ideas and what I would do! Firstly check the student can add, subtract, multiply and divide using written methods. Need to be confident in this so any problems teach her the method and give plenty of practice. Depends a lot on ability as to how far to go on this. She may also be very good and confident. If so move on. Then to basic algebra ( check substitution, solving equations, multiplying brackets...). A top set student would be taught double bracket expansion as well as single. It depends on ability again. You could also do simple factorisation. Other topics to do ( always check to see what they know and move on or harder if they can do!):- fractions ( simplification, fractions of amounts, adding, X, - , divide, top heavy to improper). Then shape and space: areas, volumes etc I would do the number work first ( the 4 operations) but thereafter doesnt really matter what order. Always check what they know before and revise if rusty, move on in the topic til it clearly reaches a natural limit and then move on. If she is weak spend more time on basics . If she is very able you will be able to skim over the easier stuff and go up more steps of difficulty in a topic. Ive left loads of topics out ( probability and stats is a big area) but the text book will have the topics. Another good resource for worksheets is corbettmaths. Designed for gcse students the topics are all there and work found at the correct level of difficulty for Yr 7/8.
    Hope this helps. All in all if the basics are there she should be fine adapting into school maths lessons at this age !

9. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

A good place to go is this https://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mep/index.htm - stacks of resources for all levels.

As you will have found, different SOWs cover things in a different order or in different years, but the outcome by the end of Y9 should be the same.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Much as the Tories can be blamed for some things, I think it better that schools can decide what to teach in each year rather being told exactly what to do.