1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Literacy Intervention programmes

Discussion in 'English' started by franroberts, Feb 27, 2012.

1. franroberts

franroberts New commenter

I have been given the task of setting up an intervention programme with KS3 pupils who are underachieving. This is pupils of all abilities who are 2 or more sub levels below target. I have been searching everywhere for different programmes that would be suitable but I am struggling to find any resources that are suitable. For example, I have tried to obtain the Reading and Writing Challenge but when I tried to download them from the DFES archived section I was denied access.
    Can anyone help? Thanks

2. franroberts

franroberts New commenter

I have been given the task of setting up an intervention programme with KS3 pupils who are underachieving. This is pupils of all abilities who are 2 or more sub levels below target. I have been searching everywhere for different programmes that would be suitable but I am struggling to find any resources that are suitable. For example, I have tried to obtain the Reading and Writing Challenge but when I tried to download them from the DFES archived section I was denied access.
    Can anyone help? Thanks

3. I have just downloaded them from this website.
    http://www.eriding.net/one_to_one_tuition/read_write_challenges.shtml

4. Have a look at the Collins books called Aiming for Level XYZ. We use Aiming for Level 4 Reading and Writing for our lowest ability year 7. They have an extra hour a week devoted to literacy. I also use some Barrington Stowe books with them to consolidate reading and writing skills. I have spent 6 hours teaching them capital letters, full stops and sentence construction now. We are making slow but good progress.

5. The problem u have is that is going to differ greatly between pupils.
    Some bright pupils might just be poorly motivated.
    At the other end, some may still struggle with instant recognition of all common words for reading, especially the trickier ones
    <font color="#0000ff">www.englishspellingproblems.co.uk/html/sight_words</font>
    If their basic reading skills are still poor, their comprehension of what they read tends to be poor as well.

They probably all have some weaknesses in their spelling, but those will differ greatly from pupil to pupil, because English spelling is so heavily dependent on memorisation
    [/URL]
    So interventions really need to be individually taylored to pupils' needs.

6. Texthelp have recently launched a national campaign to improve literacy in schools where by they're donating 'Fluency Tutor' (an online programme that has been proven to increase reading levels and help struggling readers) to schools throughout the UK.
    They are giving this software free of charge to schools in London and Birmingham to start off with but are looking to extend this to other interested schools in the UK. It's a great initiative and schools will hugely benefit. Take a look at http://www.texthelp.com/uk/our-products/fluency-tutor