1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by CaseBusy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

Does anybody know where on the dfe website (or any other site) can you find what levels they expect the students to be at for a particular subject?
    thanks

2. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

Does anybody know where on the dfe website (or any other site) can you find what levels they expect the students to be at for a particular subject?
    thanks

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Quoting:
    "The National Curriculum sets standards of achievement in each subject
    for pupils aged 5 to 14. For most subjects, these standards range from
    Levels 1 to 8. Pupils progress up the levels as they get older and
    learn more:

• most 7 year olds are expected to achieve Level 2
    • most 11 year olds are expected to achieve Level 4
    • most 14 year olds are expected to achieve Levels 5 or 6"
    And, I think, that's it! I don't know of any differentiation for particular subjects.

4. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

SORRY to bother you again. any chance of sending me the link to the quote?
    Thanks

6. markuss

Hm. can't find it for some reason - it was on a ".gov" site. but here's NFER with the same info.
    "Children move up through the levels at a rate of approximately one level for each two years of school. Children at the end of year 2 are expected to achieve at least Level 2, and children at the end of primary school (year 6) are expected to achieve at least Level 4. At year 9, the expected level is Level 5 or 6."
    http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/assessment/assessment-development/national-curriculum-levels.cfm

7. markuss

Same thing on page 7 of the booklet on National Curriculum English - Range of levels withing the great majority of pupils are expected to work: Key Stage 1 - levels 1 - 3; KS2 - levels 2 - 5; KS3 - levels3 - 7.
    And expected attainment for the majority of pupils: age 7 - level 2; age 11 - level 4 and at age 14 - level 5/6.
    (I'm sure the NC documents for all subjects would say the same.)