1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 levels in lessons

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by violetriga, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Every student should be able to tell an inspector what their current and target levels are. Whether they are all actually going to be able to do this is an entirely different manner. It is vital during an inspection that there is evidence of progression within a lesson from a known level towards a target - without this you'll struggle to get a Good.

2. Don't fret about this. Yes, it is utter *** made worse with the even more pointless APP. Make it all up. This is what I've done for over 25 years, through every new assessment method going. No one has ever questioned pupils' levels or how they were awarded except on one occasion. I said it was professional judgement based on practical work done in class cross-referenced to the levels. My Kent school prefers to concentrate on doing tasks. LEAs and ar se licking teachers will say that talking about assessing and producing screendumps and paperwork is far more important.

3. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Point made - in talking about skills I was not thinking of the ability to operate a piece of software to any set standard but to the concept and processes use surrounding the use of software - as obviously to say their is a set of skills for one program and expect those skills to be carried across and use in a completely different program with a different purpose would be silly

4. hoof_hearted

hoof_hearted New commenter

You can make up something in every conceivable ICT lesson, even if it is just awareness of audience. Animation would involve sequencing too. Hth.

5. I agree that some skills would probably not be transferable from one application class to the other.

What I'm not so sure about is that it would be that difficult to keep to the concepts and processes of the NC using tools other than traditional office productivity, modelling as a concept for instance arguably could work better looking at it from a range of systems for simulating the realworld to test hypothesis and make predictions. As opposed to a harry plotter type spreadsheet SOW. Although my love for a spreadsheet would probably make me put some in there also...