1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 ICT - Writing evaluations

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by escha1305, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I am writing to hear people's experiences of how they get students to evaluate their work. I have been teaching for 3 years now and I have experimented with different ways, however I am not sure if it is a very effective exercise! They always seem to struggle when trying to write an evaluation...what things do you get students to write about in their evaluations?
    All of our ICT is project based, so we go through the following process for each topic
    <ol>[*]Self assess against the assessment criteria - identify improvements[*]Peer assess against the assessment criteria - make further changes[*]Teacher assessment - student acts on feedback[*]Student writes an evaluation (generally "WWW - what went well" and "EBI - even better if")</ol>

2. To me that looks like it goes a little overboard. Perhaps you should focus on just one of them per topic.

3. This isn't something which happens in one lesson! The self assessment is ongoing, they have an assessment criteria checklist. Their peer checks this at the beginning of their "final" lesson before teacher assessment. Then I assess and then they improve.
    How do you get them to evaluate their work?

4. Each topic has an evaluation phase but it is only one of the ones that you list. For example they make a video and it is peer evaluated; the next topic is making a website which is self-evaluated.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I don't except for my own feedback, I just give them a mark and move on to the next topic. We may not tick OFSTEDs boxes for "learning" but I just don't see the point of spending time on peer evaluation, to me that generates an army of critics that can't actually do anything...

6. Good peer evaluation is extremely useful! Especially done anonymously from both ends and in a challenge task. I remember creating a backend database linked to a website where I uploaded pupils' work to in PDF format - one half of the page would show the PDF document in an IFRAME, one half would ask questions on what they thought of it. Pupils had to get through as many as possible answering honestly. Results were collated on the board in real time (me hitting F5!) through a graph and persistent negatives / positives weren't ranked.
    Kids loved it, took a heck of a lot of time to set up though.....