1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Human and Animal Behaviour

Discussion in 'Science' started by Goat2, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Okay, I have just read the National Strategy document on behaviour and am even more confused as to what is expected by Y9 on this topic!.
    Animal part seems fine - woodlice, maggots, even feeding preferences for snails but what are you guys out there doing in respect to the human behaviour part? Put in a Google and you get behaviour for learning etc!

2. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

You rotten lot! Not a single reply. Does this mean it is so easy you are ignoring the old fool or that no-one is actually doin this?
    Only the weekend to prepare for Monday's session and at -3oC am going to have fun finding the woodlice!

3. sadscientist

sadscientist Occasional commenter

Bless you. Winter woodlouse wrangling is the only thing that our lovely Lab Tech drew the line at. Try clearing out the shed?
    I think lack of response could be general 'heartsink' teaching this bit.
    The human stuff seems misplaced at KS3 - it doesn't even feel like Science (and that's from a Biologist.... )
    I tend to book IT for research and presentations.
    Anyone who disagrees and has brilliant ideas and strategies please share!

4. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

You could look at behaviour of apes in social groups and relate to humans. David Attenborough videos great for this sort of thing, also programmes like 'Monkey Life' on Sky TV.
    Or - for innate / learned behaviour, look up reflexes in newborns - lots of stuff available on internet. Also good if any of your students have infant siblings / cousins etc. They could try some 'research' on mimicking (e.g. find out how long it takes baby relatives to learn to copy new facial expressions!.

5. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Thanks both! Sadly I am a biologist too and so my garden aoppears to be set up for the acquisition of specimens. Woodlice and overwinterin snal collected in 5 minutes!.

I
    <font size="2">I am using dog behavior as a link in, simply because I have dogs and always get worried the way people approach them and pat without asking etc!</font><font size="2">Am also looking for chimp facial expressions but even with Google cannot get a real insight, Am falling back on Science at Work (okay I'm a '60's recruit You and your mind. Reading the Nat Strat stuff just seemed weird, also was wondering if it hadn't been slipped in so we taught the Y9 not to be unsocialable. Personally think KS3 has killed biology. All seems to be don't get pregnant, take drugs or booze, keep fit and eat healthy. very nice but more PHSSE/Health/Food Tech!</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Again thanks for that my PGCE's will go out at least knowing something!</font>

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Wretched subject to teach. Once you've done one choice chamber......
    No texts, interesting but not quite relevant you tube clips, nothing in our school library.
    The Pavlov's dog website was good though.
    P

7. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with this topic. Am relying on lots of you tube and David Attenborough clips. Quick activity then look at clip. I also struggled with finding woodlice. I've done chimps and chimp expressions, and different ways of communicating. We looked at dog behaviour and how lots of it link back to common ancestor (wolves) the kids loved that - especially the explanation for the dogs licking your face! Learning behaviour in humans too - I offered some sweets around, and the ones that said yes please got a sweet, the ones that didn't didn't get one. That was interesting to see how quickly they learnt to say the right thing. I did a really fun activity about social vs solitary animals. The pupils are split into either groups or solitary animals and given a wordsearch to complete. 2 pupils are assigned 'predator' status. The predators have to tag the other animals to eat them. The pupils aren't allowed to talk. The social animals can nudge each other to warn each other the predator is near. The preadators cannot eat the others while they are looking at them. This gave great results we were all able to have a great discussion about.

8. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

<font size="2">Clever idea the social v non-social animal practical.</font><font size="2">The website for Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour ( </font>http://asab.icapb.ed.ac.uk<font size="2">) has some good ideas for phototaxis and woodlice as well as meercats ( well we do have Bristol Zoo....)</font> <font size="2">Using the Learning Objectives from the National Strategy but they mix up plants, humans and non-human animals but stipulate must include....salivation in response to smell and answering a door when the bell rings!! </font>
    <font size="2">Most Y7-9 certainly do not have the latter, would be better to show that by the leant response to the end of period bell.</font>
    <font size="2">Anyhow doubt this will not last beyond 2013 surely!</font>

9. I found help on this very website! Try www.schools.norfolk.gov.uk where the unit seems to be planned.
    Hope this helps.