1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Homework - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mattwright87, May 21, 2012.

1. I am looking to relaunch the KS3 homework at school.

I am wondering what people think is the best book/workbook/resource to use.

What do people currently use - does it work (and why)?

We have access to my maths (although i do not want the homework fully on mymaths).

Many Thanks

Matt

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

At myy last school I started setting project work for a half-term at a time. Using ideas from the Bolt Mathemtical Problems series of books. Meant that there was relatively little marking as the children often made things, e.g. a water clock, which they would bring in. They also learnt the importance of time management! We were going down the whole learning to learn homeworks at the time though.

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Heinemann Level Up

lined to levels not yeargroups, so you can target more effectively

e.g. Year 9 set 3 could use 4-6 book but so could Year 7 set 2

it has a CD of a full textbook free in every copy, so students can look up extra notes and examples

£5 a book, but you can easily get a good deal for bulk purchases

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

What I've seen work well, though it was a lot of work for the Head of Dept who spent a lot of the summer making them, was a set of workbooks made from cutting and pasting 10ticks worksheets. (Obviously you need a licence for 10ticks).

Those were cut to give a question or two at the rough range of levels per half-yeargroup and roughly one homework a week more-or-less in lie with the SoW.

Then a big print job for the repro centre before September.

A lot of work, but perhaps you could use some directed time and have every member of the department contribute part of a book?

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

this was the only good thing that my last school did. A good training for coursework time management and allows for much more interesting work and a huge amount less marking.
    You could always run some mymaths along side for some repetative practice and levelling.
    if you do go for the topic thing, share out the tasks across the department and you will only have to set a couple of pieces each year. Easy to come up with ideas if you look at the calendar and big events such as the olympics coming up etc. And round here the school that first set this up for all subjects at ks3 now have the highest results a bit more than 5 years on.