1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 History Trip

Discussion in 'History' started by amy_coley, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I would like to run a trip to some Medieval sites for a large number of year 7 students - any ideas of places that could be good to visit - (attention grabbing please - haven't taught them yet but I understand they need constant stimulation to keep them going) I would really like them to see the Norman conquest battle sites in and around hastings but cant seem to find out how I could book a guided tour or similar. Any ideas for this or similar tours would be greatly appreciated...

2. Ok so I think Ive found that you may be able to do a 'free' educational visit to the Abbey and battle site - drama over!

3. I have found English Heritage very helpful when arranging trips to their properties / sites, this is the link you need to book Battle. Even better, booked education site visits are free...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/education/free-entry/

4. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Tower of London - they love it!!

5. Hi
    Try calling the School Travel Service - STS. They'll organise a school trip practically anywhere.
    0870 240 6828
    Jackie

6. Hi Amy

Take a look at www.english-heritage.org.uk/education for a list of over 400 sites in the care of English Heritage that self-led school groups can visit free of charge. It even includes Batlle Abbey and site. Discovery Visits (£90 per group) also available - lots of great medieval ones to choose from!

7. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

We do a 'Medieval York' study day as the culmination of Year 7's study of the Middle Ages going to York Minster and various other sites like the Yorkshire Museum, Clifford's Tower and Barley Hall medieval house. It picks up themes of castles and cathedrals, trade, pilgrimage, everyday life etc which the pupils have studied during the year. Obviously York is not in your neck of the woods, but would there be scope for a 'Medieval Canterbury' day?

8. This sounds brill, Im Manchester based but was considering doing a year 7 trip to York in the summer term, heard some good things about Jorvik? how do you arrange it as in do you walk site to site (thinking risk assessments etc!)? And timings of knowing when you'll arrive at each destination?

sorry for the questions!

9. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

Jorvik is very good but as we don't cover the Vikings in Year 7 and there are plenty of other sites to see I don't include that on my itinerary. Barley Hall and Micklegate Bar are run by the same people as Jorvik (York Archaeological Trust), who also have 'Dig!' a hands-on archeology site you might also consider.
    I break our Year 7s into groups of around 18 with 2 teachers each. They go on a 'carousel' of visits. Everyone goes to York Minster (their education session and guided tour lasts two hours) and at least one of the other attractions: Barley Hall, Micklegate Bar, Clifford's Tower, Dig! or Yorkshire Museum medieval gallery and abbey ruins. There is also Merchant Adventurers' Hall but we didn't think the educational visit there was as good as the others. We use the walls to get around the city as far as possible, and parts of the city centre are pedestrianised. There is some walking alongside and across roads involved but having relatively small groups we 'crocodile' them with one teacher at the front and one at the back. As on all trips, health and safety/risk assessments need to be carefully considered.
    I have run the trip successfully for the last three years.