1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Game Making / App Making Topics

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by greenisland, Sep 2, 2019.

1. greenisland

greenisland New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone is teaching a game making / app making unit at KS3 or doing it as a club?
    At my previous school we taught half ICT and half Computing so did a lot of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash and did coding using Python. At my new school, we teach a lot more CS and do some Digital Literacy and ICT. I really want to get the students interesting in the creative elements of the subject as I know that some of them have lost interest in Computing.
    I used to use Game Maker Studio which was great but that is no longer free. I have heard of MIT app inventor and had a look at it. It seems okay and students can share the apps online. Ideally, if anyone can give me some ideas on software / topics they have used which works well in the classroom that would be great.

Thanks,
    Green Island

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If it is for a club or you have fairly keen students, have a look at Unity
    https://learn.unity.com/educators
    It is pretty complicated but ...try "Roll a Ball" yourself to get a flavour

3. greenisland

greenisland New commenter

Thanks Madcat. I will check it out.

4. ict04

ict04 New commenter