1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 English long term schemes of work

Discussion in 'English' started by amurrihy, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi I am starting a new job in September and need to have these in place but I am struggling a little. Any help would be very much appreciated! [​IMG]

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Are you planning for yourself or a department? I would start with an outline of what you are going to cover each year, texts available and how you will assess. It is convenient to do six units a year so that each takes roughly half a term. There are SoW on the resource section of this site, teachit and other websites that you could adapt. Try LA websites; Herts Grid for Learning is one of the best.

3. Your deptartment/school should have a curriculum map in place, e.g. Yr 7 Autumn 1 Non fiction Writing etc. If they haven't given you this I would take the advice of the previous poster and gather a range of schemes from the places stated above. I would be wary of putting lots of time into planning something which may not fit into the wider aims of the dept. you are joining. If they are not very collaborative and you want an idea of which assessment foci to approach when, feel free to send me a message.

4. Thanks for the help! I am planning for a department in a small school and they really don't have anything in place at the moment. I have used some resources from the mentioned websites but I would also like to know what are the main topics that should be covered and how many texts for each year group.

5. Hi.

The fairly standard practice is to cover the following broad areas across the six half terms: a novel, a play, some poetry, some non-fiction/media work, with reading, writing and speaking & listening woven together across the schemes. Although, some may have separate/additional writing schemes to target literacy issues or specific writing triplets

Most departments have set assessments at the end of the half term and the scheme works on the skills needed for the students to be able to show progress in that area.

Here's an easier way to think of it...

Autumn half term 1: Class novel 'Millions' - Assessment: reading comprehension (infer/deduce etc)

Autumn term 2: Media unit on newspapers and magazines - Assessment: written article ( to inform/explain)

Spring term 1: Play 'Tulip Touch' - assessment - Speaking and Listening debate on bullying

Spring 2: Poetry from across the world - Assessment: write own poem etc. etc.

These are very broad brush strokes but you get the idea...

Good luck!