1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 English Intervention Strategies

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Barghie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Barghie

Barghie New commenter

Hello all,

We are looking at ways to improve our intervention at KS3 and I have been asked to find out what other schools do/use that are successful. I think the idea is that HLTAs will run the intervention but that the resources are provided by the English department. These sessions will be in addition to their timetabled English lessons.

I'd be interested to know how other schools manage intervention at KS3 and/or if there are any resources available that have proven impact.

Any advice/ recommendations much appreciated.

Karen

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just be mindful that the delivery is only as good as the deliverer so this has implications .... you will need to attach some sort of focused success criteria to their sessions. Training ? Important also to ensure that the additional sessions are not a substitute for the classroom . You don’t say who will be the recipients of the intervention / why - this will play an fundamental part in your aims / planning ?

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

... and if you are looking to improve you will surely know in advance what you need to tackle based on your concerns ... try the English forum too ?

4. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

My previous school used a mixture of Inference (a programme put together by Leicestershire LEA), Reader Leader, Lexia and Bedrock vocabulary to try to Raise Reading ages at KEY Stage. HLTAs ran the Inference sessions. It had some success, though it was often hard to pinpoint which programme had had the impact.

Totally agree that it has a lot to do with the quality of the deliverer....