1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ks3 data looking awful???????

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by soniagilet, Feb 21, 2012.

1. soniagilet

soniagilet New commenter

Good evening

I am a newly appointed Lod of French and looking at the latest data at Ks3, it looks so bad... We are doing ok against our baseline for example 90 percent of our year 8 are making progress, however, against Ks2 Aps it is awful like 4 percent making expected progress... However much we try (.iahve changed textbook with active teach) it is hard to get more level 6s in year 9. What is the situation in your schools? As I feel we are shown as a very bad example in terms of progress... Any of you aware of the national average level in year 9 in FRench? I believe it is level 5?

Any help and tips welcome

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

Ask to have the FFT data specifically for MFL explained to you ie. not the average of all subjects and not the school average either. It will still be slightly distorted but much better.
    If its not then you do have a problem and switching textbooks won't fix it. You need to diagnose what it is the kids are not getting and teach it to them, in the way you think best.
    The data needs to work for you to inform you exactly what progress the kids are/are not making and who exactly isn't and when/why. Don't reduce it to 'level6' unless as a department you have all established a - you have all agreed exact,y what a level 6 is absolutely specifically definitely down to the tiniest detail going to look like; b- that you actually want the kids to get to this level no really I mean is it worthwhile/desirable coz if you don't believe it is then make your case and fight it, and c- how you are going to design your curriculum to get to this level, will you need to add opportunities for specific skills /concepts that you believe make up the mythical level 6 to be taught explicitly and move away from textbook topic approach?
    It's not as huge a job as it might sound but you will need the help of everyone in the department and their hearts/minds to be in it. Otherwise keep doing same old and keeping getting same old. You can always just play the data game and invent results if you want to do that but as a new HOD I'm sure you will be keen to do better.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

4. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

We did the very first FCSE and have done it since, albeit with reduced numbers and with different year groups. However, if you can afford it, it can be legitimately be used to validate performances in all 4 skills across levels 4-6 of the NC. It has motivational power for those that can be swayed and, although a little time consuming, can produce results which are usually very good. The students also get a proper certificate. However, it might raise expectations and targets for those continuing into KS4!

5. What levelshave your students achieved at the begining of KS3? Do they come from primary school with any level of MFL?
    I get really annoyed when MFL departments are compared with other subjects. Our year 7 start with a level 1 in their first hafl term. By Christmas time, we usually reach a level 3a (top level 3) or 4c with them. Move on to a different topic, and you go back down the level ladder whilst the students get to grip with the new vocabulary. They quickly move on to achieve a strong level 4 by the end of year 7. By strong I mean that they have proven at least on three occasion, across all four skills, that they can produce level 4 work.
    After two years of MFL teaching, our year 8 manage a top level 5. In my opinion, it means that we have achieved 5 levels of progress over two years. No other subject in my school achieves such fast results. However, when compared to their levels of English, our results seem low... It is asolutely ludicrous to try to be on a par with core subjects.
    Our answer has been to communicate clearly with parents and other departments what MFL levels are. Instead of figures, we show parents what skills their children are developing (from words to sentences to paragraphs...) We explain the progression in our reports and are careful to inform tutors about the MFL levels, so they can help us communicate with parents.

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Exactly. SMT like the qualification - so do the pupils and their parents.

7. Hello,
    Sorry I did not check this for a while. All we did was to include this message during our staff training. Whenever there's an Information and Guidance day coming, we have shown our NC levels to tutors and explained why they appear lower. Thekey is to repeat, repeat and repeat it again! (it probably makes us language teachers a bit unpopular, but hey...)
    We also explain this to the students, each and every time that we give them work, so that we don't discourage them either.
    We also inlcude the levels on the reports, explaining carefully what each level means in terms of skills. We do simplify them to their basic features, and rewrite them in a student friendly manner. I don't have a copy with me at present, but someone may have posted one on the resources part of this website. It helps that we have an excellent online reporting system which has cut down our admin time.

8. parkykeeper

parkykeeper New commenter

Hi
    I think most of us have to endure this problem year after year! The worst part is the first term reports to parents of Year 7 students :(
    >p

My solution to this was to make sure your schemes of work give lots of opportunities to achieve the higher levels by the end of year. if we don't give them the opportunities they won't be able to provide us with the evidence.I know it sounds obvious!

We also vigorously track the progress of all students against their targets and make sure that parents/carers are involved. We give students and their parents/carers advice about what they need to do to improve, and more importantly HOW to improve.

I echo madamemarshall's comments and advice.

Try not to worry too much. There's always plenty of advice on this forum!