1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Class reader

Discussion in 'English' started by bettycoltrane, Oct 18, 2019.

1. bettycoltrane

bettycoltrane New commenter

I'm looking for a single book that I can read with a mixed ability year 7 class and a mixed ability year 9 class. It is purely for pleasure - no assessments etc. attached. However, I would really like it to increase their cultural capital and, things being as they are, copies of the book need to be cheap - I'm talking £2.50ish.

I've been looking at the Wordsworth children's classics. I also really like the idea of Greek myths, but I'm struggling to find a collection that fits our budget. The main thing is that it's quality stuff that the kids enjoy. Any ideas?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’m afraid I don’t know about the budget side - although one book between two might be a compromise? You may find a few copies second hand online to supplement if you can’t achieve a full set on your budget?

Year 7
    Beowulf by Rosemary Sutcliffe
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
    Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
    The Midnight Fox by Betsy Byers
    The Silver Sword by Ian Seraillier

Year 9
    The Falcon’s Malteser by Anthony Horowitz

Just some ideas! And great to hear that someone wants children to read for pleasure! All the best!

3. bettycoltrane

bettycoltrane New commenter

Viola, thank you so much! I'm excited to explore some of these...

ViolaClef likes this.