1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 Assessments

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, Aug 9, 2011.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hiya!
    Okay so do I have this right - APP is on the way out.. it isn't endorsed by the new gov't? Yes, it's a question - 'cause I have no idea.
    If so, what are people using an assessment guide post? Trying to update KS3 SOW and really confused about the 'shape' they are now supposed to take.
    Any advice would be really appreciated as always.
    J

2. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hiya!
    Okay so do I have this right - APP is on the way out.. it isn't endorsed by the new gov't? Yes, it's a question - 'cause I have no idea.
    If so, what are people using an assessment guide post? Trying to update KS3 SOW and really confused about the 'shape' they are now supposed to take.
    Any advice would be really appreciated as always.
    J

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Are you intending start with an assessment scheme and then make the programme fit it rather than the other way round?

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

BIG bump. I'd love to hear more opinions on this.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I'm with Arthur. If it's levels that you're thinking about, there are good reasons why levelling is compulsory just once in a key stage - right at the end. You can do it more often, say, annually if you really want to.
    The national curriculum document puts programmes of study at the front and the assessment descriptions at the back. That's the right way round, surely.

6. roamingteacher

As suggested already, it really does seem pointless levelling when you can be Level 6 in one AF and Level 4 in another. It really doesn't paint a clear picture at all. Then again, what summative assessment does in its 'one number/letter' approach...

7. So, you develop a system that records comments and thoughts about student work and progress rather than a system that gives you a set of numbers in a mark book. Slightly more work but very useful at parents' evenings when you can read the comments about work and the targets for improvement and put the numbers into context. APP does work BUT not the way most schools go about it. I upset our KS3 co-ordinator last term when I questioned the long term plan for KS3 that revisited AFs twice a year - as the advisor etc had suggested - but had each SOW 'teaching the AFs in the run up to the assessment. How can that approach actually show progress? Most students can learn and remember long enough to be assessed and they make progress: unfortunately, they don't always remember the things taught and can't show them six weeks later (when you are assessing something different).

8. always-marking

always-marking New commenter

I have to agree that it's annoyingly confusing. Knew exactly what I was expecting from a L5 piece of work, but have just moved schools and have to re-write the entire KS3 SoWs to fit with their new 'I can' statements as well as establish a workable tracking system that won't be too cumbersome to manage or to fill in. Any advice or ideas gratefully received as to what works and what doesn't.

9. roamingteacher

Could you share the 'I can' statements? Lots of mentions of them recently on the forum but I've no idea what they look like...