1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 assessments

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briceanus, Oct 7, 2010.

1. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Anyone tried to order the new Year 9 Optional tests yet? They are only doing the 4-6 and 5-7 papers. We still use these as a pretty accurate end of key stage assessment. Is this another victim of the cutbacks?
    Should I re-use previous year's sets, or bolt-on to the top end and bottom end of what is provided, what does anyoe else think (or think they'll do) ?
    Bric

2. Thanks for the heads up as I'm sure we were planning on using them this year (we certainly did last year and found them a good help to forming a teacher assessment - they had all the old levels last year 3-5 up to 6-8 didn't they?).
    Can only presume we'll be getting the photocopier to bash out last years!!!

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

We're stuck in 2008. It seems to work well, so why change it? I developed a load of photocopiable answer sheets and have a stock of original question papers which get passed out each year. I'll keep doing this until they reintroduce KS3 testing in 30 years time...

4. September

September New commenter

We are trying out the GL Assessment NFER tests this year. It appears they are slightly harder but the data is age based so works well.

5. September

September New commenter

We have used the GL PIM11 for our new year 7's and the results produced levels less than their KS2 results. "The summer effect".
    We have used the PIM 12 for the Year 7 EOY Assessment, and PIM13 for the end of Year 8.
    The PIM12 is not bad as the level boundaries are not as spread out as the level boundaries for PIM13.
    Have used modi learning resources for end of term assessments, but had to scrap this as dept do not like marking and complained to leadership. Hence I went over to the PIM test. Less marking but not as reliable.

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

We too are using old KS3 tests, I like the idea of developing an answer sheet as our photocopying bill is a constant concern to me!