1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 assessment?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Emmylou717, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have an interview for a maths GTP and I just wondered if anyone could tell me how assessment is carried out at key stage 3 in maths.

I am aware of the subject matter that is covered but not how student progress is assessed.

Also If anyone can tell me how ICT is used in their maths classrooms it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. xx

2. Hello,

I have an interview for a maths GTP and I just wondered if anyone could tell me how assessment is carried out at key stage 3 in maths.

I am aware of the subject matter that is covered but not how student progress is assessed.

Also If anyone can tell me how ICT is used in their maths classrooms it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. xx

3. Are you asking how pupils are assessed thoughout KS3 or at the end of KS3 or both?
    We still use the old sats papers at the end of year 9 along with the pupils classwork\homework marks and topic assessment marks from the year to give each pupil a level.

4. Sorry, I meant throughout KS3. I am more familiar with Science in which they sit an end of unit test at the end of each topic. Is there a similar thing in maths (the topic assessments you mention?), or is it just continual monitoring of the pupils class/homework?

5. We do the same. End of unit tests and record results. We usually keep a close eye on those who get a few low or high results in relation to the rest of the set and look at moving them up or down a set accordingly. Although for any set moves their classwork\homework and effort\behaviour in class is also considered.
    Another measure we use is their cats results from year 7. If we notice a pupil getting a lot of low marks but their cats scores indicate they should be doing better we will look at encouraging\pushing them more in lessons to achieve.

6. Thank you so much for your reply. That is very helpful.

7. What research have you done on sites like qdca in terms of internal and external assessment?
    What information have you collected from place like the old National Strategy site about ICT in maths?

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Describing assessment in terms of end of unit tests is a bit like celebrating the results of the 100m final at the Olympics without acknowledging all the things athletes did to get there.
    There's a good deal more to assessment than end of unit tests. It's all called 'Assessment for Learning'. As Betamale suggests, get onto some of the old strategy materials and have a look for AfL stuff. Some of it is nonsense, but there is some good stuff. If you want to get really dosed up on garbage, have a look at Assessing Pupil Progress materials...

9. So true, I was focussing on use of data as my dept is obsessed with this atm! There is a lot out there on Assessment FOR Learning as googolplex says some good stuff somenot so good...

10. I'd just be careful about the variation between schools. You say in science that learning is assessed in a unit test, but that might just be in one school you've experienced. Each schools will take their pick from a menu of no assessments, topic tests, half termly tests, termly tests, end of year exams...

11. Thank you for all the replies. I will check out the sites recommended. I realise that there is a lot of variation and that schools all do things differently as well as the fact that continual assessment of student progress is required and end of unit tests giving only somewhat useful indicators.

I am also aware of APP :) I have seen it in action in science. unfortunately I haven't been able to get into a maths classroom yet, so most of my experience with it is from talking to friends etc. who are already teachers, and from talking to students I'm tutoring through a school.

12. Hence why I asked what formal research you have done on your chosen career.
    Remember, this is an interview to show what you know about the life decision you are asking the trainers to support.
    Collecting anecdotal evidence from faceless folk on the net IMO is not the ideal way to approach the task.
    Look at formal documentation and see how that is utlised by schools. IMO its not going to cut it to make reference to what might happen in one class/subject or school as the interview team may go down the route of Formative Vs Summative assesment...Im not sure, they may or may not...they may ask you what you think of the White Paper or controlled assessments Vs coursework Vs exams.
    Perhaps do some good solid reading you can quote when answering questions rather than "what your mate said"
    You could look at what Balls did in relation to very current trends...anything that is solid or has substance to show you care about your chosen pursuit..

13. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

You're a hard person Betamale...
    It could be argued that doing a search on strategy materials is equally unreliable, there being such alot of dross...
    Emmylou, just read widely and try and get a perspective on it all - I don't personally think there is that much wrong with your enquiry on this forum, so long as you treat all responses, including this one, with caution. There's a huge amount of stuff on assessment; furthermore, I reckon you'd get a wide variety of responses from qualified maths teachers if you asked them what they thought constituted good practice in assessment. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day...