1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KS3 12 week food project with no practicals!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by helpmedt, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi - does anyone have a mini 12 week project that can be left as cover but sadly it will not be possible for pupils to do practicals due to cover..

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks

2. Hi - does anyone have a mini 12 week project that can be left as cover but sadly it will not be possible for pupils to do practicals due to cover..

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Recipe booklet with photos taken from mobile phone at home?

Themes could be Healthy eating. Meals for 4 under £5, etc

4. That's going to be tough going for the kids. i suggest lots of cooking videos eg clips from bbc food or licence to cook to break things up. Can I ask why they can't get in a food supply to do the cover as then they could do practical work?

5. How about getting the help of the dinner ladies and investigating the rules they have to follow, the budgets they need to fit into and what ideas they have about new menus etc?
    They could investigate batch cooking.
    Maybe they could get a tour of the school kitchens?
    Could leave some Jamie Oliver videos for them to watch.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Can they do non 'cooking' practicals such as sugarcraft or something that involves no knives/heat etc? I'm not 100% onwhat the rules are.
    Even a taste testing lesson or something where they can have some enjoyment for the subject?

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Cross curricular with english/drama/media and write and make a health & safety video for food for the new Y7 groups?